World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished morte point last night....only a quick session really, couple of hours.....not fished here before so did my feel confident.....had a walk around the point and found somewhere to get down to the rocks....sort of to the right of the point, if I can describe the mark! Anyway, chucked out a fillet of mackerel on a pulley penel and also thought I'd try an do a bit of lure fishing whilst keeping an eye on the rod....fished a black minnow which got smashed into the rocks....I did get a bit on the ledgering rod but nothing connected....ended up going before dark as it was getting quite rough and dangerous....this looked to be a great mark, but I was thinking maybe better at low water? Beautiful venue and great sunset there....just a shame I did nt catch anything.....gunna have another go on Sunday evening....maybe combe Martin as its bit more sheltered there as its blowing a hooley right now! If anyone's got any tips on where or how to fish this, much appreciated....I ll let u all know how u get on!

·
Registered
16,759 Posts
Morte... Yes a bit daunting the first couple of times.
I've probably spent as much time walking the place looking for marks as actually fishing it.
Despite its size, imo there's not actually that many fishable spots, especially if ledgering with tripod etc.
There's a few marks on the right of the headland, a few in the middle and a couple on the left.
Without actually showing you, it's hard to describe exactly where they are.
I've always found it fishes best on the flood after dark - the trick is to find a spot where you can start after low and retreat upwards to the high mark.

Combe Martin - fish off the promenade by Newberry beach to the left of the main beach a couple hours either side of high. Park in the little car park at the top of the hill, where it's advertising Wabasso art cafe.
Chance of eels, bass, pout, pollack and I've seen mullet take mackerel on a 2/0 here. Worth a bit of after dark float fishing for bass too.
In theory, chance of red mullet if you cast to the sandy patches, will require ragworm though.
Other option this weekend is to fish the beach two hrs either side of low for bass, but would mean starting late, 11pm to midnight.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one Mr fish....I ve literally just been in that car park and was looking to the left where the little beach is and seems very rocky....so thought to the right (basically infront of the main beach) looked a good spot! I was hoping to get 2 hours either side of high tide here....prob just catch last orders in the pub if the fishings ****!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts