World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am looking at trading in my reiver sportsman ( cuddy type ) for a pilothouse style boat and have come up with two possibilities local'ish to me and could do with a little advice and opinions before I have a look at them.

I would like info on running (fuel) and maintenance costs for them both if possible please.

At present I keep my boat in a marina but may be taking it out to trailer about, next april if fee's go up to much.

Options are;

Quicksilver 640 2007 model with a mariner 100 hp 4 stroke , twin axle trailer, webasto heater, deck wash, and some electrics fitted.

I realise that some have said that the 100 hp engine is a little underpowered for a 640 but I mainly fish with just two of us and am happy cruising at 18-20 knts or a little slower if this will reduce fuel costs.

Passport 630 SD, brand new, fitted with a diesel mercuriser stern drive.
Basic boat with no trailer or electronics fitted as far as I know so far.

This boat is said to be identical to the quicksilver 630, but I can't find much info, reviews or many pictures on passport boats.
No idea what speed this will give or fuel consumptions.

I do like the sound of having a diesel for better fuel consumpition and reliability, but have heard horror stories about stern drives in the past.
What problems occur with stern drives and is the maintenence difficult and expensive to keep them right ?

Both these boats are priced the exact same and are at the maximium end of my budget, hopeing I get a half decent deal for my reiver sportsman.

Any info greatly appretiated, before I go and spend a lot of money ( to me anyway).

Cheers
Martin.

G

·
The 100Hp Qs will be juicier to run than the same boat with a 115Hp almost regardless of how many of you are onboard.
At a guess you'll use 15% to 25% less with the bigger engine as you will be nor running it hard compared to any form of steady planing without falling off the wave in a sea.
If you truly want a QS then continue searching for one with a 115Hp on the back.

The Passport is an almost unheard of brand in the UK. How's the support network? You are going to need it and probably a fair bit.
As for economy, I am guessing it's a 130Hp lump in the back? Probably topping out at 28 to 31 knots and offering about 20% better fuel consumption than the QS with a 115 on the back (at a 20 knot cruise).

Servicing? The engines themselves will be a similar price to service, but the outboard will have to be out of the water, the inboard can be serviced in the water.
The outdrive leg will need a major overhaul every two years assuming no running issues with it. This will cost about 70% more than the engine service itself. You may well find it cheaper, but as to the quality of the service I couldn't even guess.
Problems with sterndrives? If maintained and not dinked then they are excellent, but they suffer big time from busted seals due to fishing line getting wrapped around them. They also suffer a lot from electrolysis if you are in a marina that is susceptible to it.
If you can, get the Bravo 3 duo prop style. It will imprive economy and performance by a further 10%ish.

Tom

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I hope you know both of the boats mentioned will be financial suicide if you buy new and then want to sell a year or two down the line.

If you want a QS 640 then get the 115hp engine but have a look for one a couple of years old and see the saving.

Alan

G

·
Im not sure where this bloke go's for £25...But certainly not too far!

http://www.findafishingboat.com/detail.php?aid=10574
2004 and that engine!!!!
28knots? When?

If yo can steal it at £11,500 or £12K then it's almost a goer, but no more.

Off topic!

Martin is asking about local boats.

Personally (forget what I think of the brands) neither. The QS is a bad package with that motor and the Passport is likely to majorly struggle on full dealer and manufacturer support. I say that knowing that everyone underestimates how much they will need (or are entitled to)dealer help post sale and all boats will have snags, some more than others....

Interesting to see Passport (a virtually unknown boat and exact replica of a QS) is owned by the Brunswick Group.... what's going on there?....

Tom

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Been having a look around the net at 640`s and loads seem to have the 100hp on the back !!

Had a good look at a QS 630SD last year and found there wasn`t a lot of deck room on it and the cabin was pretty small. Ok for two to fish I guess. It had a 1.7 merc diesel in it so I would have thought it was pretty fast and economical.

Don`t forget red diesel will be going up in price in November to normal deisel price for leisure boat users. Deisel used for heating on the boat will be priced at the lower tax rate.

Alan

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nice boat Ron.

Year of build = 0.
Length = 0.
Beam = 0
Draft = 0.

Don't tell you much about it do they ?

Number of hours pleasure it will give you after buying it for a song at auction ????

Probably zero.

Pel.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cheers for the speedy replies people.

Them two boats are priced at a pound under 20 grand. The quicksilver is a year old, the passport brand new.

I was concerned that the 100 hp on the qs 640 was'nt enough and you lot seem to mainly agree so thats out of the window. Especially as We tend to head out to wrecks 10 - 15 miles out, the extra fuel consumption of the 115 hp would be handy.

As for the passport, think I would be taking a chance being one of the first few people to try them out and don't want to risk my money.

Back to the drawing board then lol.

Their's not as many boats for sale up here compared to you lucky lot down south. I may have to travel further afield, but wanted to part ex mine so might be a chew.

I would defo consider a package a few years old to get a cheaper deal, but theirs not many about up here.

Cheers
Martin

15,082 Posts
Cheers for the speedy replies people.

Them two boats are priced at a pound under 20 grand. The quicksilver is a year old, the passport brand new.

I was concerned that the 100 hp on the qs 640 was'nt enough and you lot seem to mainly agree so thats out of the window. Especially as We tend to head out to wrecks 10 - 15 miles out, the extra fuel consumption of the 115 hp would be handy.

As for the passport, think I would be taking a chance being one of the first few people to try them out and don't want to risk my money.

Back to the drawing board then lol.

Their's not as many boats for sale up here compared to you lucky lot down south. I may have to travel further afield, but wanted to part ex mine so might be a chew.

I would defo consider a package a few years old to get a cheaper deal, but theirs not many about up here.

Cheers
Martin
These site's are always worth a look Martin.

http://www.findafishingboat.com/

http://www.essexboatyards.com/stocklist/category.php/FISH

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Ron

I've been keeping an eye on a few sites, essex marine seem to have a good flow of boats coming in and out, seen a few good deals in the past aswell.

Not be many about when I'm looking tho lol.

Think I might look into things too much lol.

No hurry ey.

Cheers
Martin

15,082 Posts
Thanks Ron

I've been keeping an eye on a few sites, essex marine seem to have a good flow of boats coming in and out, seen a few good deals in the past aswell.

Not be many about when I'm looking tho lol.

Think I might look into things too much lol.

No hurry ey.

Cheers
Martin
Good luck Martin,I hope you find what you are looking for.

G

·
If you go for the 640 with the 100hp 4 stroke then get a 15" x 13 1/2 prop for it. After much messing about with props on mine I have finally found the right one. I now get 26kts and use around 60 litres for 50 miles. That is a dramatic improvement on the 2 litres per mile that I was getting before with the 16 and 17" inch props.
I still wish I had the extra power of the 115hp though. As for the 630 equivalent, forget it. There is very little fishing space for the size of the boat and the cabin is not as well laid out as the 640. However it will do 28kts.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I needed a slightly smaller version of a pilothouse (I regularly tow,) and so went for a QS 560 with a 75hp Mercury 4 stroke. It achieves 24.6 knots easily enough with the standard prop although I find 18 to 20 knots on the plane very comfortable in most conditions.

It is very easy to launch and retrieve on slipways. I usually only have two aboard although it is "C" rated for 5 people. The QS580 superceded my model and they are a good boat too! If I kept my boat on a marina though I would definitely go for a QS640 with a 115hp and gain a little more space.

Regards

Harry

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you go for the 640 with the 100hp 4 stroke then get a 15" x 13 1/2 prop for it. After much messing about with props on mine I have finally found the right one. I now get 26kts and use around 60 litres for 50 miles. That is a dramatic improvement on the 2 litres per mile that I was getting before with the 16 and 17" inch props.
I still wish I had the extra power of the 115hp though. As for the 630 equivalent, forget it. There is very little fishing space for the size of the boat and the cabin is not as well laid out as the 640. However it will do 28kts.
Hawkeye - I'm glad Terry posted this, as I wasn't so sure that other posts were quite right about how bad the 100hp would be. As far as I know the QS640 until recently was rated only up to 100hp, so I would presume that with the right prop they were OK with that engine.
Is the one you are looking at in Hartlepool Marina (Pegasus)? - looked a nice boat to me with quite a few extras. Bear in mind that Cliff Reynolds is the local Merc/mariner service agent and I have found them brilliant - definitely not out to sting you. There is some doubt about where they will be, as planning permission has been put in to develop their Whitby street site. I heard though that they hope to actually move into the Marina. I believe CTC (Middlesbrough) were struggling and their plans to move into the Marina fell through.
I'm still delighted with my QS640/115 although I'm doing lots of other things at present so not getting to use it much, but so far not a thing's gone wrong with engine or boat.
Mind you I dunno why you want to be in the Marina rather than round the raggy end .... unless of course it's the cocktails and canapes:laugh:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts