World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put this in the Quicksilver owners section but putting here as well for a possibly wider audience. I want to change my fuel tank from a 50 litre to a 90 litre one on a QS 530. Anyone changed the tank on there's or can tell me if it is possible or not. I have had a look and there doesn't seem to be much room to get the tank out, height wise, a big bolt through the middle as well! Just want the extra range a 90 litre will give rather than carrying the extra tanks on the deck. Don't like fuel on decks or in cabin!

·
Registered
2,970 Posts
If it won't physically come out (I don't know if it will) then consider plumbing in an auxilary tank. It's easy enough if you have space.

My 695 had a 130 litre main tank which was just about enough for a major offshore trip or a channel crossing, but it wasn't leaving much in reserve so I plumbed in a 53 litre auxilary.
Easy peasy, job done.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi there, First off all What engine have you got on your boat and what do you recon is it's present range ??
I have tried to upload some photo's of my 560 showing the shape of the floor once the fuel tank has been removed. As you can see the bottom isn't flat So you might have trouble sourcing a larger tank. You have also to take into consideration that the filler pipe may have to be lengthened . This is a reinforced fuel pipe which is very expensive. ... I removed the whole filler cap assembly as the filler cap was letting rain water into the fuel tank. The job was a nightmare as there are 2 stainless jubilee clips above arms length in a cramped corner of the boat which need to be removed. I replaced the cap with a stainless steel locking Waste cap. Hopefully if there were any fuel thieves they would see waste on the cap and leave my boat alone. If it were my boat I would do as Tom says and buy a couple of large portable fuel tanks and make some universal connectors so when you want to change tanks you just unclip the pipe from the main tank and connect to your auxillary tank then your not left trying to decanting the fuel whilst you are out at sea.. Good Luck and let us know your decision. Cheers Billy

Attachments

·
Registered
11,704 Posts
I replaced the cap with a stainless steel locking Waste cap. Hopefully if there were any fuel thieves they would see waste on the cap and leave my boat alone.
You've let the cat out of the bag now though Trev!! - at least if any fuel does go missing you can pin it on a WSF member :)

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it won't physically come out (I don't know if it will) then consider plumbing in an auxilary tank. It's easy enough if you have space.

My 695 had a 130 litre main tank which was just about enough for a major offshore trip or a channel crossing, but it wasn't leaving much in reserve so I plumbed in a 53 litre auxilary.
Easy peasy, job done.
Plenty of room for a second tank, never thought of that! The only thing that is under the deck with the original one are a few fenders and the table that came with the boat. Those can be relocated and a second tank plumbed in. Good idea!

Billy, the under deck of your looks completely different to mine, did you have two bolts holding the tank in or just one?

I have a Mercury 2st 75hp with a range of around 60 miles on a complete full tank (plus the neck) at around 20 knots. Just under the range required for the "best" bass marks. She will do around 30 if required, but very very thirsty then. 90 litres would be ideal, enough to get there, a few drifts, and enough to get back with plenty of reserve.

Shall have a good long think, a measure up and a cup of tea whilst staring down under the deck!!!!!!!!! That usually helps.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Yes mate I have 2 bolts holding the tank in place.. Saying what you are saying I can see your frustrations.. If you could take a few photo's of the tank in place and measuring the spacing we might come up with some Ideas ???

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hoping to get to the boat Tuesday or Wednesday, shall take a few photos and do a measure up. Billy, what size tank is in yours, pm if you like, but doesn't look as if that would fit in mine anyway - going by the bolt holes!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi there, Will hopefully pop over to the boat today and will take some photo's If the holes do line up, I would hate to think how much quicksilver would charge for a fuel tank.
Catch ya soon
Billy.

·
Registered
559 Posts
IMAG2257.jpg IMAG2257.jpg

Here are some pics.. The main photo shows the fuel tank in place. this is positioned at the back of the boat with my shoe towards the front. The small pipe usually connects to a 5 gallon separate fuel tank which feeds the aux 6hp engine the tank usually is strapped in next to the main tank... The fuel tank is 130 ltrs I think.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here are a few photos of the present tank, as you can see a totally different set up to the yours Billy. I think it is going to have to be an auxiliary tank fitted under the deck alongside/behind the original. If I can get a 30ltr tank in there then I will be more or less happy with that.

Attachments

·
Registered
559 Posts
Flea Bay..
Pacer Marine.
NEW 30L OUTBOARD ENGINE FUEL&LINE TANK+GAUGE BOAT RIBS
| Add to Watch list
Seller information
pacermarine (62371 Feedback score: 62371) About pacermarine
100% Positive Feedback
Save this seller
See other items
Visit Shop:eBay Shops PACERMARINE,BOATS,...
Registered as a business seller

AdChoice
Item condition:New
Quantity:
6 available / 24 sold
Price:£46.95 Buy it now

Job Done...:clap2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts