World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woke up at roughly 8:30am with the thought of fishing still bouncing around from the dreams of that 20lb bass lunging at my plug... Same one im sure most of you have. So quicky my mind turned to venues and bait.

I had rougly 3hours fishing time so i didnt really wanna buy bait so i thought 'Mullet = Bread... I have bread!' next thing to decide is venue...
Loads of rain results in muddy river, loads of cold fresh coming down so addis bridge is out of it, as is the pontoons by the base of swansea west so went to one of my favorate haunts in the marina.

Arrived around 11am and much to my suprises 2 guys were fishing in the spot i was planning to fish. I set my gear down a little ways away and being the social type of guy i am i went over to see if they'd had any luck. from the moment i got there they're rods were bouncing. After a brief chat they invited me to fish with them as they had a shoal of mullet feeding and they were going to be leaving in a hour or so. before i could get my kit over one of the lads had a nice little mullet of around 1lb on. By now i was drooling, so checked out theyre set up and set up a similar rig.

As i was only planning to fish on the float i left alot of gear behind but i cobbled together a single hook rig to fish on the bottom as the others were, a totally new concept to me as i always fish on the float.

it wasnt long before i started getting hits but as with mullet fishing they were hard to hit. decided to use a small bit of flake on a hair rig, as the bait touched bottom a fish hit hard and after some fun on the barble rod i had a nice 3lb thick lip in the net.

After that the fish seemed to go of the feed. But was a nice quick session.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Top tip with the Mullet.

If you hook one, Don't let the fish break the surface and make any noise, As this quickly sends the others away.

Pull the fish to the side away from the feeding shoal and just pull out high quick and high.

Also the hook I use for them which doesn't bend and doesn't rip out of their mouths when lifting, Is the one that is found on the flattie rigs you can buy. The one with the white spade and beads type. Don't know who makes that little hook(Bronze, Short shank type), But I'm sure that someone on here knows.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah bagster when i hook a mullet i move 20 or 30 yards down the wall from where i hook it where i leave my net. i try and get the fish out of the shoal before it really knows its hooked. the only problem i get is netting the blighters when im on my own which normally results in alot of splashing and the like due to a 10ft drop to the water and me only having a 12ft landing net handle.

As for hooks i use kamasan wide gape B911 [ Size 6 if the fish are feeding agressivly, 10 if im not getting many bites and size 16 if i know there are fish there but im not getting bites] ive never had a hook bend or straighten but ive never need to lift a fish out of the water. If i know there are bigger fish moving in and out of my swim and i do suffer a few hook pulls i step up to s size 10 animal or a size 8 if im fishing in the upper layers with floating bread presented just under the surface.

One thing ive been very curious about is painting the hooks white to blend better with the bread? has anyone got any experiance with doing this? have you found any difference in the hook up rates and the agressiveness of the bites? Also Bread presentation - How do you **** your bread? ive found that hair riging the bread gets more positive bites but some times is a little harder to hit. Any thoughts or ideas on this subject?

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
:g: ahh ,sweet memmories:g: .
last time i had a quickie on swansea pier i was 15.:yucky: :yucky:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts