World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always try and take at least half a day off mid-January, once the holiday season has passed and before I get the deadline-bunny urge to submit my tax return. Today was that day. After walking the dog I knocked up a quick two-hook flapper with smaller hooks than I've been using up until now, and a set of small hook traces for a three-hook wire boom rig I made up a while ago. Fridge and freezer raided for bacon, squid and blacks.

Both lines out by 2pm, and the afternoon was perfect. Cold, sunny, no trace of a breeze and the tide not long into the flood.

Water Sky Water resources Lake Lacustrine plain

Varying the casting distance from close-in, to out into mid-flow and mixing up the bait combinations over the next couple of hours. Not a nibble, not even crabs on the bait. I know there's fish in the river as the seal and cormorants have been seen catching flounder. Not an unpleasant way to spend the afternoon. Packing up just as the light started to fade and the frost started to rise out of the shadows it had been laying up in all day.

Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape Lake

This little creek on the right of the river was my intended spot to try out, but the mud was just to slippery to get to a point where I could have one rod on the creek and one on the river. One to try another day.

Water Sky Natural landscape Lake Bank

One rod upriver, one rod downriver. Holding steady with 3oz grip leads and no snags. A little bit of vegetation debris catching the line, but nothing of significance. The debris always looks to be worst on the ebb.

Tight lines...

Tags for Search:
Norfolk, Great Ouse, King's Lynn

·
Registered
61 Posts
Might have been a little much fresh water in the mix, after all the rain we have had in the last week.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Have a try there in the spring George, when there's a few spikeys about.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Excellent write up George. Made me think about getting out myself one of these sunny still winter days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts