World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

was just wondering, when you go out on a session, which worms do you prefer to use? do you have a preference, or does it all depend on what fish you are targetting?

SA

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
sometimes the species your after will dictate the bait used. if you are unsure of the available species or specific bait requiresments it always pays to take a bit of both.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I always regard rag as a Summer bait and lug as a Winter one.

Stu

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
yep same as stu, rag in the summer and lug in the winter...

·
Registered
111 Posts
why not use a two hook flapper and use both, if your still not getting bites swap them around to see what the fish are feeding on. then go from there.

mark h.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Or if you're really not bothered about catching,use lazylug on one flapper and lazyrag on the other!

·
Registered
244 Posts
well me personally, i always use rag, and sometimes use lug, but i prefer rag, as its the only worm i can get a hold of usually. And i have never have had much luck with lug worm, but then again, i only started fishing last october.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Think about the ground you are fishing over. If there are large lug beds fish will be feeding on lug. Likewise is there are a lot of washed up razor clam shells the likelyhood tis that razor will be a good bait. What i am saying is that baits are not only seasonal, but locational. Although they will work the most consistent way of catching is to use a bait the fish are actively seeking out. For example peelers are good in summer, especially in estuaries when the crabs are moulting inshore.

·
Registered
506 Posts
tbh theres no diffrence to me catch on them both lol i prefer to fish with king rag worm thou the lugworm from shops in hartlepool aint the biggest

·
Registered
506 Posts
oh and white worm is a must in calm sea when nothings doing be amazed what it picks up

·
Registered
8,187 Posts
You cant beat lug, it can be used on a 3 hook flapper to target most species such as pouting, Whiting, dabs, schoolie bass, flounder etc. Or you can put 3 or more on a size 4/0 hook with squid to make a good cod bait.
Then you have black lug which can be a good local bait (For places such as Dungeness). This can be salted (heavily) and frozen and re frozen and refrozen until its minging and then it will be a top bait for dabs.

Rag can be good for Bass, and plaice including other flat fish due to the movement which will attract them and also most of the other species.Maddies can be put in bunches onto a size 2 (or smaller) hook for Flounders.

So both really have there own uses but can be used to target similar species. Personally i prefer the humble old lug worm.:)

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
fresh dug rag has just converted me, was blanking 4 hrs until the fella i was with gave me some, into fish cast after cast. had tried blow, black and farmed up till then

·
Registered
94 Posts
it really depends on location and species,however harbour ragworm (maddies)are a good estuary bait for flounders and lugworm I generally use when winter fishing for cod.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I usually use lug during the winter and rag throughout the summer but this year and the end of last rag was catching more for me.

I usually take a lb of lug and 1/2 lb of rag just so Ive got the option to try different baits.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Local bait definately has the edge over farmed or shop bought. If you can use local crab or worm i can almost gauruntee fish will find it more attractive than other sources as they will be looking more actively for it. Yes they will still take farmed, but in my experience you will generally catch more fish on the freshest local baits.

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Local bait definately has the edge over farmed or shop bought. If you can use local crab or worm i can almost gauruntee fish will find it more attractive than other sources as they will be looking more actively for it. Yes they will still take farmed, but in my experience you will generally catch more fish on the freshest local baits.
totaly agree with that.

i never buy bait and collect all my own locally. i dont do bad on it.

locally its been said rag before christmas and lug after. for many years this has proved true. this year though i have used more rag than lug.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Depends on where and what your fishing for and when too, i use lug for the codling in the Autumn( black and blow mixed) sometimes tipped with half a peeler crab which is deadly for the codling, but in the warmer months i use rag as well to good effect for the bass. Lug puts out more sent and juices than rag so in murky water lug scores best.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
When I can dig Lug, I can use it, but for me Ragworm has fished best over the winter, picking up Congers, Cod, and all the small species on the old two hook flappers. Rag and Mackeral have been deadly for the Cod, (for me anyway!)

Ben

1 - 20 of 22 Posts