World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been storing my rag at the bottom of the fridge, for a while with no problems, now my teenage daughter has started to complain about the smell :rolleyes:

so I've gone off and got a couple of large food containers to keep them in, these are lined with newspaper and the worms kept in vermiculite, I was just wondering whether them being airtight would be a problem or if there is anyone on the board who keeps their worms in airtight containers?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i know that you want the air tight containers so the smell doesn't get out but you really do need to put holes in them, the smell shouldn't get out too much, they only need to be small holes, otherwise the rag would almost definately suffocate.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
try buying a second hand fridge, i was given mine, i keep it in my room (not ideal) but it stops everyone complaing about the fact there are worms and crabs next their food!!!!
i think it freaks them out having frozen bait in the freezer (i have to share my kitchen with ten flatmates :( )

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A spare fridge freezer is acctually my prefered option the only problem is that I have know where to put it, the small spare room which I use for my hobbies is rapidly filling up to the point of over flowing, what with my computer desk cabinets for this and that and my weight lifting and keep fit stuff there is only so much that you can cram into a 6x7 foot room, there is a nice clear corner in my daughter's bedroom where it could go but I don't think that she would be very receptive to the idea :confused:

I had thought about buying a shed to put the fridge into but the mrs has said that this is going a bit far for the sake of a few worms, women eh!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am lucky with this, I am a fisher woman and I don't mind the smell of a few rag worm or even the rancid smell of a few poped lug worm. Why can't all women appreciate the smell, :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
ive always put my rag worm in peat and i cant really say that i have noticed a smell. try changing the paper more regardly. i change my 3 times a day.

kelvin

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Remember that if you do decide to punch holes in your 'air-tight' containers that they will become the same as any other container, not airtight!. The reason yours smell is simple, some of them are dead! If you must keep them in a fridge then you must search through them every day (at least) and remove the dead uns which as well as contaminating the rest are rotting! Tackle shops do this regularly. If you can't get another fridge think of buying a coolbox and regularly put in one freezer block when you examine the rest for the whiffy ones! I think that sometimes the domestic fridge is set too low, temperature wise, and that this kills worms, crabs etc. How often have you found your salad frozen (and ruined!) in the fridge particularly when the weather is hot? If your fridge is turned up remember that this will allow worms, coldblooded creatures, to go walkies and large holes are no barrier! The beauty of the Cool box is that you know that you must keep replacing the block and this forces you to check your worms!

"I won't be long dear, just going out to play with me worms!"

·
Registered
287 Posts
get a shed, every man must have his shed . a mans shed is his castle .
if your like me you have a smelly fishing suit and fishing bags that almost walk on there own .if you get a shed, you and only you no where everything is . if the misses does go in, she doesn't stay long . my bait fridge was in the house until she filled it at christmas and put my worms out side to fend for them selves . soon moved it to the shed.if you have a shed you can airate ragworm ,crab or sandeels in a tank. which will keep bait even longer .make weights in it WITH CARE . in my opinion an important peace of fishing kit and keeps the peace

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swellyman, thanks for the advice though none of them are dead, the problem with this batch of worms is that the area that they were dug from was from a particularly smelly area of mud and as they slowly dry out the moisture from their bodies fills the fridge so when you open the fridge you get a lung-full of moist worm scented air which is what the daughter is moaning about, though to be honest I've started thinking about how I can re-arrange my stuff to fit in a fridge :rolleyes: :)

Dai english, I've considered long and hard about a shed, only probelm is, is that where I live I'm not sure that it, or anything inside it would be there very long :mad:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
BarrieG whats with this weight lifting, keep fit rubbish? priorities man, bait first, cred second, somebody will still love you even if you are a fat slob! (no names here).
Get the treadmill OUT, & the frigidaire IN !!!!!!!
By the way tell your wife that the shed was for her, not the fridge/freezer !!!!!
blueskip

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Mrs is actually ok, she puts up with all of my hobbies and hasn't really complained yet, on the other hand though I'm looking at ways to get rid of the daughter and was wondering about how to arrange a marriage for her for when she turns 16..............

Just kidding, before anyone complains,

though in another few years she'll be old enough to leave home and get herself a flat, just got to bide my time ;) :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts