World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given some left over ragworm , at the moment the smaller ones are in an ice cream tub in the fridge along with some peat, the larger ones I re-wrapped yesterday and they all seem very lively, my question is;

"Should I leave the small one's as they are, wrap them up in paper again, or replace the peat with some fresh with added sea water?"

Tia

Ubd

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
Sea peat is becoming more difficult to source, the conservators of the Hants river have stopped the diggers taking the peat. You can use sphagnum moss from Ireland, but it must be soaked in seawater for a week or so to reduce the acidity, squeeze it out until just crumbly and its ready to use. When it gets drier, dampen it with fresh water, as the salt doesn't evaporate and gets left behind.

Hope this helps.

philtherod

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Shallow cat litter trays kept in a bait firdge, with fresh sea water changed once a day is the way i have found most effective to keep rag. Just dont keep to many in a tray (30-50 is enough), and dont add too much water (enough to just cover the whole base of the tray, tilted slightly so one end is deeper). they should last at least two weeks using the method i have described.

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
Does this post mean I have got to quickly order some worms for Friday and shoot up and collect them early Friday ?:blink: :blink: :unsure:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No mate, they'll be right, Andy told me so, if they're not we'll blame him and go find a nice "real ale" pub!

Ubd

·
Registered
3,661 Posts
Shallow cat litter trays kept in a bait firdge, with fresh sea water changed once a day is the way i have found most effective to keep rag. Just dont keep to many in a tray (30-50 is enough), and dont add too much water (enough to just cover the whole base of the tray, tilted slightly so one end is deeper). they should last at least two weeks using the method i have described.
Yep-spot on bass-ic, i keep my rag this way and have even managed three weeks, but some of them where on the way out.
Lugworm about a week-10 days also with this method.

Kids get a fright when they raid the ice-cream though...... lol

·
Registered
6,835 Posts
No mate, they'll be right, Andy told me so, if they're not we'll blame him and go find a nice "real ale" pub!

Ubd
:) The Station Arms, Southminster:) or Tillingham :) or the White Swan, Little Totham (Ggovenors a sea fisherman and got his own boat:) ):)

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have had worms in a tray of sea water (changed daily) for a max of 5 weeks and 3 days . I used thenm and they were snapping and snarling their way onto the hook as they do when straight out of the mud. Have I set a record...lol ?

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have had worms in a tray of sea water (changed daily) for a max of 5 weeks and 3 days . I used thenm and they were snapping and snarling their way onto the hook as they do when straight out of the mud. Have I set a record...lol ?
Nope...when I used to sell rag, I managed to keep a dozen rag in aerated seawater in a 'fridge for over 10 weeks. eventually the tails went goopy, so I used 'em, and felt guilty about not releasing them!

philtherod

1 - 12 of 12 Posts