World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did raiders start being made in poland.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Not sure of the year, but I think I'm right in saying that the Polish ones can be identified by a yellow and blue hull graphic, whereas the English ones had a single colour stripe, dark blue or red or green running round the top foot or so of the hull. Plus I think English boats were the Wheelhouse model only - Fisherman (the one with the big screen but completely open forward sections) and Cuddy are Polish only.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think the raider might be out window as there are like rocking horse poo to find a uk build.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Think the raider might be out window as there are like rocking horse poo to find a uk build.
There is a UK Raider18 Wheelhose on Boats & Outboards. 1998 hull, 1998 90hp Yamaha autolube 2 stroke, later year Honda 5hp 4 stroke aux, full electronics & roller coaster trailer for £7950 ono.
Production in Poland began end 2003/early 2004. All cuddy & fisherman models are Polish.

headlight

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank for that headlight but really want a 4 sroke motor are there any made in the uk if not it's a warrior or a reiver.

·
Registered
11,649 Posts
Quite a lot of UK cuddy style boats to choose from: Endeavour 500, Seahog range, Orkneys, Explorer (no longer produced in UK), John Dory (now Sea Swift), Alaska, KB Striker are the first that come to mind - I'm sure there must be quite a few more. Raider style is pretty unique to them though.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Thank for that headlight but really want a 4 sroke motor are there any made in the uk if not it's a warrior or a reiver.
If I"m reading the above right you"re asking are any of the Raiders for sale made in the Uk & not any 4 stroke motors made in the UK ?
The 2002 boat on B & O with 115 ETEC will be a UK built boat but obviously the engine is 2 stroke.
I personally am a 2 stroke fan having had many over the last 25 years. I like 2 strokes because generally they are lighter (I know 4 strokes are catching up in that respect), they are torquier, there is less in them to go wrong, they are easier & cheaper to service, the newer fuel injected models are not much different mpg wise to a 4 stroke, & they are generally cheaper to buy. I am not interested in the fact the 4 strokes are quieter although with some models I can"t really tell much difference.
I myself at present have a 115 Honda & know people with ETEC"S & Optimax"s on the same boat as me who get almost identical performance & consumption as me. I purchased my motor last December & am very happy with it. However due to circumstances out of my control at the time Honda was the only make i could go for & the 115 model was offered as the best deal of the engines of suitable size (90/115/130).
If circumstances had been different at the time I may well of not gone for the Honda 115 but a fuel injected 2 stroke or a different sized 4 stroke.
In relation to older carbed 2 strokes, yes they are thirstier on fuel than either a 4 stroke or modern fuel injected 2 stroke but personally with the amount of hours most of us manage a year I think that that can be lived with. Certainly it would take years to recoup the expense of changing a 2 stroke for 4 stroke in reduced fuel consumption.
As regards the pro angler they are a very nice boat I just think they are a little over priced for what they are. I don"t know if you have been out on a Raider 18 but i can assure you that although only 18 inches longer they are much much more boat.
As previously stated I very nearly bought a Warrior 165 last autumn but after giving the matter more thought realised that in 12 months I would be looking to trade up. I went out on a Raider & in my view there was no comparison. The Raider just ticked more boxes for me. I now have a boat that I will be keeping for a number of years rather than 12 months.
Just my thoughts & I know others will have their own views.

headlight

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
While on the subject of raiders - can anyone give me some performance guidelines like top end speed with the max 140hp or any other configurations?
Thanks Fox.
I can only speak for Raider 18 Wheelhouse models as that is what myself & some of my friends have although I would imagine 18 Fisherman models figures would be identical & cuddy models very similar.
My 18 Wheelhouse has a 115 Honda 4 stroke & gives the following.
Top speed 39/40 mph at 5,600rpm (WOT)
28mph at 4,000rpm
3/4 litre fuel per mile at 3,800-4,000rpm.
These figures are with quite a heavily loaded boat & 2/3 persons plus gear.
My friends identical boat with a 115 Merc 4 stroke gives identical figures.
I know people with 90 &115 ETEC"s & Optimax"s that are all getting similar figures (the 90"s are only a couple of mph slower). One of the members on here has a 150 Optimax on his & I beliieve he gets about 45 mph & similar fuel figures.
My mate Barry originally had a carbed 90 Merc 2 stroke prior to buying the 115 4 stroke & that gave similar speeds (about 36/37 mph if I remember correctly) although fuel consumption was heavier.
Hope this helps.

headlight

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
my wheelhouse with a 90 optimax topped out at 36 mph and cruised in the low to mid 20s would give about 28 to 30 miles to a brim full nominal 25 litre tank
greg

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
my wheelhouse with a 90 optimax topped out at 36 mph and cruised in the low to mid 20s would give about 28 to 30 miles to a brim full nominal 25 litre tank
greg
Those figures agree with mine. A couple of mph less & about .8 of a litre per mile with a 90 is close enough given different sea conditions & other variables. I believe 18 cuddy"s give similar figures with an 80hp as they are a bit lighter & more aerodynamic than the Wheelhouse/Fisherman.

headlight

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks guys, I went out for a day trip in a raider kitted with a 150 opti about 5 years ago & the experience still lives with me!
The boat was very fast & seemed very competent through the snotty conditions - to be truthful I had a bad back for a week after but on reflection I think the boat was far more capable than many others I have experienced!
I also remember that particular boat had a 15hp auxiliary.

·
Banned
10,574 Posts
Thanks guys, I went out for a day trip in a raider kitted with a 150 opti about 5 years ago & the experience still lives with me!
The boat was very fast & seemed very competent through the snotty conditions - to be truthful I had a bad back for a week after but on reflection I think the boat was far more capable than many others I have experienced!
I also remember that particular boat had a 15hp auxiliary.
I don"t know how you would fair insurance wise with a 150HP fitted in the event of a claim as the hull is rated to 140HP. Perhaps there is a way round it, I don"t know. I do know though that fitting an engine within the manufacturers rating is down to the owner although the insurance company will accept your proposal & money irrespective what you have fitted.
One of the members on here actually has a 150HP Optimax fitted so possibly it is possible to do. I doubt he would not have looked into it before fitting.
I find my 115 has more than enough power though & given the very similar performance achieved by 90HP motors & the fact that they would generally be cheaper & lighter (in some instances) feel that a 90HP is a very good match for the hull.

headlight

·
Registered
781 Posts
There is a member on here (who shall remain anonymous) who has a 90hp on a boat rated at 80hp. he contacted his insurance company and then got a letter from the boat manufacturer stating that the 90hp engine would be fine on their boat. the insurance company were happy with that and insured him. apparently is is all to do with the weight of the engine on the transom more than the hp of the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts