World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just finished reading this sobering reminder of what can happen when ramp rage prevails at the boat ramp.....(source Iboats )

"Saw this a few years back at Smith Point Marina on Long Island. Basically a new boater with a brand new boat doing his first ever launch..... Anyways, one of our local loudmouths is giving the guy a newbie grief over his backing ability so he sends his wife behind the boat to guide him down the ramp. In his haste to pacify the idiot that was busting his chops he took the safety cable and winch hook off of the bow ring and backed down the ramp. Mister loud mouth started cursing and carrying on again, Mr. new boater panicked and hit the brakes the boat came off the trailer and unfortunately my 9 yo grandson had to witness the aftermath, .......Mrs New boater getting crushed between the dock and the boat as it came off of the trailer. And No she did not survive. So maybe if we are a little put out by how slow someone is at the ramp we might consider offering to give the guy a hand."

C'mon guys.....Lets try to help each other out there.. ?

·
Registered
139 Posts
just finished reading this sobering reminder of what can happen when ramp rage prevails at the boat ramp.....(source Iboats ) "Saw this a few years back at Smith Point Marina on Long Island. Basically a new boater with a brand new boat doing his first ever launch..... Anyways, one of our local loudmouths is giving the guy a newbie grief over his backing ability so he sends his wife behind the boat to guide him down the ramp. In his haste to pacify the idiot that was busting his chops he took the safety cable and winch hook off of the bow ring and backed down the ramp. Mister loud mouth started cursing and carrying on again, Mr. new boater panicked and hit the brakes the boat came off the trailer and unfortunately my 9 yo grandson had to witness the aftermath, .......Mrs New boater getting crushed between the dock and the boat as it came off of the trailer. And No she did not survive. So maybe if we are a little put out by how slow someone is at the ramp we might consider offering to give the guy a hand." C'mon guys.....Lets try to help each other out there.. ?
Erm yeah..?

·
Registered
559 Posts
It's so easy to make a mistake and yet so difficult to rectify once it's gone wrong. Something similar happened when this bloke was docking at the side of the slipway. It was typical rush hour with kids with fishing rods other boaters waiting to use the slipway.. He missed the point and tried to correct it While his wife thought he had stopped. She jumped off with the mooring rope while he hit the throttle she fell in and got crushed between the boat and the wall. She survived god knows how.. They gave the boat to a broker and got rid of it. I actually know this because I knew the bloke so I'm not scaremongering.. I usually launch with my wife. She knows her jobs and I know mine. We keep it simple and take our time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts