World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Wiggle it just a little bit
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal: I have a bad back but love fishing. When I go to a pier mark, I can either carry my seat box on a good day, or wheel it in a little box trolley I got from Staples on a bad day.

But I struggle on sand and shingle, particularly if the mark is a bit of a walk or the tide is coming in fast.

I can't wear a rucksack because of the pressure pushing down on my spine. I can't always walk a long way, but if I can go a bit further, I really struggle to carry my gear too. I can't afford a trolley with thick wheels for the beach, nor could I pull it through the sand if I did, as the pull on my back makes it too painful.

Do you think getting a little plastic sled might help? And do you think it would wear okay? The two marks I am specifically thinking of are mostly sand, so I wouldn't be bumping it over sharp rocks, really. I reckon on a bad day I could rig it up to my waist to pull behind me so I'm not twisting or putting the wrong kind of pressure on, and on a good day I could pull it with my hand.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this or useful ideas. Or, you know, a load of crap, as at least it might make me smile.

And if anyone knows where I could get a very cheap sled in the middle of summer, I'd be grateful. :laugh:

Ta. :wiggle:

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Several people I know use them for long walks along the Suffolk shingle.
They seem to hold up quite well on the stones.
That famous online auction site if selling them at the moment.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Have a look at those 4 wheeled flat trolleys that gardeners use. They travel over rough terrain better than 2 wheeled trolleys or sledges unless its snowy. We use 1 on the farm instead of wheel barrows to take feed blocks out to the cattle.
I use it because I,ve a bad back and shoulder.
Bet you could even fit your tripod on it to fish low up.
Ebay 130376998022 or 120595510870

·
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much, guys! :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Have a look at the humpalumpa trolley as it's supposed to be great over shingle and easier than pulling the plastic sled. Click on the link for more info on it.
http://www.humpalumpa.com/

·
9,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, well out of my price bracket, but it's nice to dreeeeeam...

I'm going to check the recycling places for sleds, I think. :headhurt:

Thank you, though. :thumbs:

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
we use one when out on the mud flats at Burnham on Sea, easy to skim over mud and pools and keeps your stuff out of the mud. I've used the same sledge over the shingle on Chesil, it works fine.....just use plenty of bungees to keep the kit on the sledge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts