World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the ranny from 2 til high tide today. very slow. A couple of small knocks on peeler as the tide was rising. Worm baits didn't get anything, but were stripped very quickly by crabs.

As there was nothing at range I dropped a large lugworm bait in very short to see if there were any bass about and caught a 42cm codling just before high water. It must have been starving as both pennell hooks were swallowed and there was no chance of it surviving, so its on my plate for tea tonight.

As the tide turned there was a lot of weed about so I packed up.

Several others were fishing, but I only saw one other small codling caught. Hopefully there will be more about soon.

·
Team Loonz
2,270 Posts
i find it fishes better over high in the dark mate

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, I will give it a try, but its not always possible as 11 m high tides do not always coincide with darkness and anything over about 11.5 is dangerous as you get pushed against the cliffs which are very unstable at the moment. I have also found that tides under 11m do not fish well.

·
Team Loonz
2,270 Posts
been fishing there for years mate you can fish 11.5 if the conditions are right i.e westerly winds low swell it fishes good over low water during daylight probarbly better to fish the foreshore in daylight over high best thing to do is to visit a few venues an make a log on how they fish and what conditions etc thats what iu have done in the past and once you compile your coursework you will have a few options of venue in any weather /state of tide and day/night etc

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Love fishing the ranny for some reason! Looking forward to it this year again. One of teh other spots that has worked well for me is the white wall, nothing huge but a couple of fish suppers!

·
Team Loonz
2,270 Posts
fancy a sesh soon ry

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
sure do Kyle... just got to get through a whack of decorating first! Going to to fish one rod and have a few practice chucks with my CC ld . Had the thing about 6 weeks if not more and not had a crack with it! Looking forward to having a go to get a bait and weight plus the 100 yard mark. Probably head out with it down that way first as theres plenty of room to swing a lead and usually not too many to see the **** up that follows!

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I just came back from fishing the Ranny, 7-9.30. Had a Codling just under 4lb, 2 hours after top tide on rag squid cocktail. Loads of (sea)weed there at the moment LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts