World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone help me on directions to the ranny pool?
Im not sure exactly where it is?

Also im thinking of fishing the knap also another place i have not been.
Can anyone reccommend the best spots?

Also the fish taken from these spots and the best baits!

Please and Thank you

Localfisher

·
Registered
198 Posts
Hi local fisher,
the best way to the Ranny is to drive through Penarth down Redlands road which leads into lavernock road. then just after Cosmeston Park (which is on your right) take a left down to lavernock point (which is sign posted). Park by the small church at the end of the lane and take the path to the beach. Then walk about 500 yds to your left and you'll be fishing the ranny.
The knap as far as i know is fishing best from high tide down as much as 4 hours, mainly whiting and pout have been caught, the only cod i've heard of was at cold knap point on low water.
Baits to use are worm and fish bait cocktails!
Hope you have some luck
tight lines
JD

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you John Dory

What fish are being caught down the ranny, whats the ground like and are there many fishers there?

·
Registered
129 Posts
JD,

When you the path to the beach, is it the mud path straight up or te right hand path through the gate mate???

I've never fished down there but went to have a look so i'm curious too!!!

Pottsy

T

·
0 Posts
I went down there with a few mates, for the 1st time, just before new years, to find that there was a fishing comp going on. A few of the fishers decided to leave as it was getting high tide, decided to chance it and stay. The current rips through there at high, making fishing really hard.

Didn`t have a bite, using rag/squid. Rough ground, lost many rigs as I my retrieve was not fast enough with my Abu :) Should have taken my penn mag!

Let us know how you got on!

Nick

·
Registered
198 Posts
both paths will get you there, you can go down the one straight ahead and walk left across the beach or take the one on the left and follow the cliff walk about 200 yards down. There's a path that slips down the cliff to the beach carry on right 100 yards past a natural piont in the cliff face and your there!
JD

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
hi guys fished ranny last nite, water goin down, fished about 6.30 to half past midnite. little breezy, quite warm beleive it or not, comfortable, it was nice 2 b sat out there. only took mini squid as bait. 11 whiting, i was expecting nothing, but 2 local tackle shops held a comp last weekend, and a few codling were caught, so i hope things r looking up.... glad i went now, didnt rain once....

·
Registered
287 Posts
fished the ranny on wed with dropped a pollock .fished hightide down four using crab,squid, lug and blacks . i cought one good size whitting of 11/2LB and a small coddling under size .coddling came on rag and the whitting on hole squid .Dropped a pollock BLANKED AGAIN . hee hee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts