World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my first good sesh out in the new Warrior last Thursday that I put a thread up about (5 bass, kept 2.....all on a big rapala), I took the mrs out for the day on Saturday for another go. Had some good crab, but even my usual best spots were producing nothing at all on crab... the water was a little bit clearer than it has been for a while.
Anyway, tried a couple of trolled rapalas and within 15 minutes had 3 bass to the boat (2 of them keepers) and all 3 on the big rapala.

Unfortunately, it all went a bit quiet again after that.

Anyway, armed with more crab I decided to try a new rock mark that I spotted while out in the boat so I had a pair of hours down there on Monday evening on the early flood. And by "down there" I really mean DOWN there.....quite a scary spot to get down to.

I tossed a crab out into this really good looking gully and while I laid the rod down for a while, tried a small rapala in the same colours as had been catching on the boat previously. FIRST 3 casts.... 3 bass between 40 and 46cm.... 2 of them taking within 3 feet of the rocks just as I was lifting the lure out!!

As I landed the last of the 3 the other rod with the float went berserk with something stripping line off the reel as it headed for the open sea... unfortunately off by the time I'd picked the rod up and got the line down.

So put the spinning rod down and decided to hang onto the other rod with a fresh crab on.... good job too cos this beauty had hung around.....

Tipping just over 5lbs on the scales. I think the commotion must have scared any others off because it all went quiet, plus there was a big seal cruising off the entrance to the gully soon after which didn't help, so I packed up with a good feed.

Anyway, in 3 trips (2 boat, 1 rockhopping).... Score Rapalas 11 - Crab 1 (at least it got the biggest one)....I would never have believed it, and nor would my Dad.

All the best...

·
Banned
15,040 Posts
Cracking report and pics dai, that mark looks great...if a little inaccessible to most, lol

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
Well done Dai,, some lovely fish on the lure,, was that a jointed fire tiger you were using? Tight 'uns,, Marc..:punk:

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
cracking report and the gods seem to be smiling on you! :sun:

p.s, how the hell did you get down there? looks like a sheer cliff face with hand holes :blink:

well done, al.

·
Registered
507 Posts
this is probably a daft question because you probably wont answer, with the truth enyway but were you fishing at st govans. i fish there alot and it looks similar.

·
Registered
238 Posts
nice report m8 nice fish to i ad a small bass of about 2lb on a pike lure the outher day braceletbay

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hell of a report mate, and cracking pictures, bass for dinner at your house!

spider man school looks like it paid off with the accesability of that spot!

·
Mussel Man
2,506 Posts
the rope ladder is out of the picture
LOL! you would'nt want to slip! :bye2:

looks stunning though... bet there wasn't and angling related crap and empty cans, thats for shure.

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts
spider man school looks like it paid off with the accesability of that spot!
Nah mate,, he used a paraglider with a rubber ring round his waist, and just hitched a lift back to shore on a mackeral charter boat..

Now theres an :idea: idea..:punk:

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No Lads,
No rope ladders, no spiderman costumes just some good old-fashioned huffing and puffing.....particularly getting back up with the fish too.
Travel light is the best option.
My Dad was a Coastguard in Rhossili, Tenby, St Davids, Mevagissey, Mumbles, etc, so I was brought up rockhopping at Worms Head, Mewslade, Fall, Caldey, etc, so it's pretty much in my blood.

No the spot isn't St Govans.

The lure isn't jointed. The larger and smaller versions are the same pattern. I've fished with the smaller one all over the World and am on about my sixth one. It's caught bass obviously, but also freshwater bass in some lakes in Florida, Sierra in Baja California, Barramundi, Saratoga, Barracuda, Spanish Mackerel and Trevally in NT, Australia, Kingfish from the rocks on Lord Howe Island (close to where HMS Nottingham embarrasingly ran aground), Jacks all over the place in Mexico, Gambia, etc, and even Pike in Lincoln!!!
e.g. .....

In my humble opinion the best all-round lure in the World.... first saw it being used by a guide for Barramundi then bought 2 in a shop in Darwin. Then saw some more in Walmart in Florida, so bought some more, plus the bigger size one. Basically a brown upper with black tiger stripes and an orange underbelly with a small, shallow-swimming bib.
Casts well too on an Ugly Stick Lite 8ft and Penn Captiva Mk2 with braid and a short fluorocarbon leader.

That should give you some ideas!!
Enjoy.....

·
Insane Poster
2,852 Posts

tried a small rapala in the same colours as had been catching on the boat previously. FIRST 3 casts.... 3 bass between 40 and 46cm.... 2 of them taking within 3 feet of the rocks just as I was lifting the lure out!!
It looks jointed cos a fleck of paint is missing / or a fish scale is on the lure (the first/middle hook in the pic above)..

No matter what lure you used or method of getting down to the mark,, at least you had a great day out,, and i applaud you on that,:clap3::clap3::clap3:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nice fish.

Who huffed & puffed down to the rock mark with you, to take the photo.

I notice you are not as superstitious as me. I never wear the same clothes fishing two days on the run.

Pel.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There I was having a natter with a few mates on Goodwick Beach...........

When along came a jetboat.....

and asked me if I wanted a tow past the Struble Head Glacier to my new fav fishing mark....

He then passed me on to a passing warship where we had a bit of fun off the Lighthouse.....

Before clambering on board and heading down through Ramsey Sound and a bit of ruffers.....

and even more ruffers off the Haven.....

and then we arrived off my fav spot by which time it had calmed down (a lot?!) and a local seal towed me in to this rocky gully.......

where I caught some bass....(see previous post!)....and when it was over the seal towed me round to South Beach, where my mates picked me up and gave me a lift home....

Honest!!?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice fish.

Who huffed & puffed down to the rock mark with you, to take the photo.

I notice you are not as superstitious as me. I never wear the same clothes fishing two days on the run.

Pel.
A well positioned rock crevice and a timing switch on the camera.

If the clothes catch??...who's superstitious? Anyway the wife's away all week so I can smell as much as I like!

Dai

·
Registered
287 Posts
Dai,

Excellent reports and photographs. Do you ever get to fish Fishguard and north Pembs?

Hope all is well?. Home in Fishguard for 5 weeks, but haven't managed to get my boat on the water (23ft, 2 x 115hp outboards). Weather been awful. I hear there are plenty mackerel and decent pollock around, but not many bass yet. I'm told they show later - late Sept onwards.

Still travelling and fishing the world - Sierra Leone, Mozambique & lately Nigeria to name a few. Have boxes of Rapalas which I hope to try here.

Regards

Dai Harries
Fishguard

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
nice sesh great fish ...... fishguard was it ?
Can't be, if my true report of how I got there says it's between the Haven and South Beach...........

1 - 20 of 25 Posts