World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
3,228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sneaked out for the afternoon and float-fished squid, mackerel and lug off the rocks beyond this cove, HT down 3.

Only worm got bites — several good ones that didn't connect and one small pollack of about a pound ... except for the other fish, another about 1½, to a joey's tail!

Nice spot there - had my eye on it since last year and gonna get a lot better in the summer, I think. :)

· Registered
2,401 Posts
nice one mate.just you and the skag heads was it..lol..

its got a very ineresting history rapparee.(quoted from the wreck of the london by pat barrow)

In 1796 a 'transport' ship arrived off the north Devon coast in treacherous weather conditions. chained below decks were more than 100 black 'prisoners'. In effect these prisoners were being returned to slavery after siding with the French in the Caribbean wars of the time. Also aboard the ship (The London) was a vast amount of treasure (bounty of war). The bodies of the drowned black prisoners were unceremoniously buried on the beach at Rapparee cove near Ilfracombe. Many local wealthy families today owe their prosperity to the treasure which was plundered from this ship. Occasionally - during extremely severe weather - skeletons have been uncovered among the shingle of this isolated cove.

more here: http://www.01271-ilfracombe.co.uk/wrecks.htm

· Registered
2,102 Posts
nice one mate.just you and the skag heads was it..lol..

its got a very ineresting history rapparee.(quoted from the wreck of the london by pat barrow)

In 1796 a 'transport' ship arrived off the north Devon coast in treacherous weather conditions. chained below decks were more than 100 black 'prisoners'. In effect these prisoners were being returned to slavery after siding with the French in the Caribbean wars of the time. Also aboard the ship (The London) was a vast amount of treasure (bounty of war). The bodies of the drowned black prisoners were unceremoniously buried on the beach at Rapparee cove near Ilfracombe. Many local wealthy families today owe their prosperity to the treasure which was plundered from this ship. Occasionally - during extremely severe weather - skeletons have been uncovered among the shingle of this isolated cove.

more here: http://www.01271-ilfracombe.co.uk/wrecks.htm
blimey thats another theory for the ghost of ilfracombe pier handing out free bait :):)

· Registered
781 Posts
great read m8 short to the point and now i want to read more about it
The London was a barque from the fleet of admiral Rodney.
Some bloke back in the seventys found a load of silver coins on the beach after a good blow with a metal detector.
The odd one or two are still found by people walking their dogs. Iv'e been down there with my detector and found sweet F.A..
Still a bit of fishing and detecting at the same time sounds like a good idea, may give it a go in the summer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.