World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We made it to the first of April , it's spring in Scotland and still feels like winter . Anyway we decided to fish Loch Lomond and ledger for species .
Chance in a million .
lomond nico powan 1.jpg

We soon found some fish , anchored and ledgering .
lomond nico powan 2.jpg

We have so much water to fish from .
lomond nico powan 3.jpg

Starting with the species .
lomond nico powan 6.jpg

Can you name them all?
lomond nico powan 7.jpg

lomond nico powan 11.jpg

lomond nico powan 9.jpg

Plenty action around and eventually landing one of the rarest , protected fish in the Uk . A Powan .
lomond nico powan rare.jpg

Enjoy the Video , photos , tight line all , Nico

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Agree with sellos, a baby dace due to the big eyes.

The ruffe is a specimen in my eyes. Probably well hated by Lomond fishers as it is an invasive species!

·
Registered
18 Posts
nice report Nicolas, need to get down there for a sesh with you guys
you say you use LRF rods for your fishing, what are the casting weights ??

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with sellos, a baby dace due to the big eyes.

The ruffe is a specimen in my eyes. Probably well hated by Lomond fishers as it is an invasive species!
They were introduced by pikers years ago , it was not probably the best idea at the time . Wish they had introduced zander instead . Those little ruffe are prolific . more and more and more . Pelamid

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
roach, ruffe ,dace and a perch? and the last one a powan,:) or the dace could be a bleak
I tick it as a dace . sellos . Identifying species is never easy and brings controversy . We are all here to learn . It is so confusing at times buddy

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I tick it as a dace . sellos . Identifying species is never easy and brings controversy . We are all here to learn . It is so confusing at times buddy
Twenty years ago I fished frequently around the moorings. Everything caught there (except powan) was simply called "bait"!
Probably had less pike than you get on lures, but did have a few good ones. Thinking back, all of my bigger pike came on deadbaits!

At that time you would see huge shoals of powan at the surface well out from the shore. Never caught one so I know it's a rare catch on rod 'n line.

Nice bit of video, brought back some good memories!

I have a 14' inflatable kayak now but dare not post on the kayak forum as it uses a 6 hp outboard. Would expect to get the same comments as, when using my folding bike, I pass racing cyclists going uphill - "bloody ELECTRIC bike!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts