World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if anyone has laready posted about this but did anyone see the article in the West Brtion and Sun newspaper regarding the Almaco Jack that was caught down here?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes it was in the cornishman aswell, i think i read it would of been a british record but had been gutted and prepared for eating before they realised what it was. It was caught by a holiday maker down aire point.

·
Registered
536 Posts
this could be the start of something beautiful haha!. Some new fish in british waters!...awesome!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I caught one a couple of years ago,off Milford,for the Welsh record (on one of Marcus's WSF boat trips),at the same time,quite a few were caught around Cornwall,Devon and the Channel Isles,with one of the SW forum members catching the British record.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I saw the fish in City Angling Centre Truro. It was certainly a member of the Jack family but it could be an Almaco, Guinean or Lesser Amberjack. May even be a Blue Runner another member of the Jack family. Very difficult to ID by just having a quick look as these four species are pretty alike in apperance. There are already British records held for the shore caught Guinean Amberjack and the boat caught Almaco Jack held by members of the CFSA. There is also a CFSA County record for a shore caught Almaco jack that failed to make the qualifying weight for a British record.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw the fish in City Angling Centre Truro. It was certainly a member of the Jack family but it could be an Almaco, Guinean or Lesser Amberjack. May even be a Blue Runner another member of the Jack family. Very difficult to ID by just having a quick look as these four species are pretty alike in apperance. There are already British records held for the shore caught Guinean Amberjack and the boat caught Almaco Jack held by members of the CFSA. There is also a CFSA County record for a shore caught Almaco jack that failed to make the qualifying weight for a British record.
Yeah I saw it in there too. Nice looking fish apart from all the ice over it and stinking bad lol. Lovely colour to it.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I wish I had a chance to have a look at the fish - when I caught mine I did a fair bit of research into the various species in order to support my British Record claim.

I've still got a file containing the various identifiers somewhere - after a few measurements, gill raker counts etc I reckon I would be pretty sure on the ID. From a quick visual inspection alone (or from the photos) it would be impossible to be sure whether it is either an Almaco Jack, Guinean Amberjack, Lesser Amberjack, Greater Amberjack (less likely) or a Blue Runner, to name but 5 species.

I can vouch for the sporting qualities of these fish though; I've never seen a bite like it - we thought a bird had flown into my line!

Further details on the story here:
http://swns.com/hook-line-and-stinker-fisherman-cooks-record-breaking-fish-221220.html

·
Registered
706 Posts
Oh and ignore the bit in the story where it is claimed that a pub landlord caught the first one in British waters last year... there have been several Almaco Jacks caught (CFSA boat record in 2007), not to mention at least 2 Guinean Amberjacks (including mine in 2004) in the last ten years or so.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish I had a chance to have a look at the fish - when I caught mine I did a fair bit of research into the various species in order to support my British Record claim.

I've still got a file containing the various identifiers somewhere - after a few measurements, gill raker counts etc I reckon I would be pretty sure on the ID. From a quick visual inspection alone (or from the photos) it would be impossible to be sure whether it is either an Almaco Jack, Guinean Amberjack, Lesser Amberjack, Greater Amberjack (less likely) or a Blue Runner, to name but 5 species.

I can vouch for the sporting qualities of these fish though; I've never seen a bite like it - we thought a bird had flown into my line!

Further details on the story here:
http://swns.com/hook-line-and-stinker-fisherman-cooks-record-breaking-fish-221220.html
[/I]
I did not include the Greater Amberjack in the list because i thought the chance of such a small one showing up was very slim but you never know. I still remember seeing your Guinean at the weigh-in came as a bit of a surprise!!

·
Registered
706 Posts
[/I]
I did not include the Greater Amberjack in the list because i thought the chance of such a small one showing up was very slim but you never know. I still remember seeing your Guinean at the weigh-in came as a bit of a surprise!!
I can remember 3 very surprised (and confused) anglers looking on when I landed it - when it first came into view there were various shouts of "bream!"... "no triggerfish!"... no... "what is that?!" I thought I recognised it as an amberjack from recollections of photos I'd seen in old Sea Angler magazines... but I kept quiet for fear of being ridiculed!

We sent a picture text message off and then received a text back suggesting amberjack (mate's missus had been browsing the good old Collins book of fishes!)

·
Registered
25,234 Posts
Someone on here caught an amberjack i think,deanohoskino it may have been????????????????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Given the steady increase of more tropical fish in our waters, (triggers for example) I expect these catches will become more common over the years, I know of a least three "blue runners" (could have been any of the species mentioned) caught in the carrick roads or falmouth bay two years ago in the space of a few days, I've no doubt there were others caught as well.

·
Cliff Dangler
2,576 Posts
there have been several Almaco Jacks caught (CFSA boat record in 2007), not to mention at least 2 Guinean Amberjacks (including mine in 2004) in the last ten years or so.
I think Dean is still waiting for Doug Herdson to id the 3 jacks he had rod and line from the boat and verify any potential record (Alamaco and/or Lesser?). It was 2 years ago. How long did you wait? Did I remember you saying 3 years? Or did I make that bit up?

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
This weeks north devon advertiser has just confirmed the story I heard last week, 2 Skipjack Tuna caught off Clovelly last week (both about 1kg)...

I keep spraying the hairspray at the Ozone layer hoping for more species, bl**dy global warming, wish it would hurry up !!

·
Registered
706 Posts
I think Dean is still waiting for Doug Herdson to id the 3 jacks he had rod and line from the boat and verify any potential record (Alamaco and/or Lesser?). It was 2 years ago. How long did you wait? Did I remember you saying 3 years? Or did I make that bit up?
I'm pretty sure the one he showed me was more than 2 years ago, at least 3 if not earlier still?

Either way, I am not surprised he is still no further forward with the BRFC. I've just checked all the correspondence I kept - I originally notified them of my capture on 21st September 2004. Doug Herdson had the fish at the National Marine Aquarium, Plymouth for the first year or so (top bloke but obviously very busy) before it was eventually sent up to London only to sit a freezer at the Natural History Museum for nearly 2 further years. Finally on the 27th May 2007 the species was formally identified by Oliver Crimmen at the Natural History Museum (Scientific advisor to the BRFC).

At that point I was finally able to formally apply for the record. I then had to wait until the next meeting was held until, eventually, I finally received my record certificate on the 5th November 2007... over 3 years after capture!

Even then the certificate was incorrect - the metric weight reads 9.81kg instead of 0.981kg! They only had a couple of new records to ratify that year - how hard can it be to get the friggin certificates correct?!! (bearing in mind they are individually signed by both the Chairman and Secretary of the BRFC). The official record list is also wrong for my fish - I have tried on 3 separate occasions to get these mistakes corrected but to no avail. :bangin:

I wish Dean good luck with his claim - he's gonna need it!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.