World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, despite a service end of last season, my 4000 FA looks to be giving up the ghost - the handle spindle is out of line and cannot be tightened down (the reason it went in for a £75 service!)
What do we think of the fb?
Does the old FA spool fit it?
Vaguely similar priced, but better, alternative?
Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
603 Posts
The old spools don't fit.

I went from an FA to an FB. The FA went back twice for faults.

The FB has been back once due to loose bearing and faulty anti-reverse.

I'll be looking for an alternative when this one goes pop.

·
Registered
734 Posts
The fb is the first reel I have had that lasted a full season, the roller bearing did cease up so I replaced it with a ceramic one for 3 quid. The line lay is spot on, the drag makes my caldia feel like a piece of junk, more than enough power to handle anything the UK can throw at it and can be picked up so cheap. I am not sure what more anyone could want from a reel in this price bracket

·
Registered
917 Posts
The stradic fk (higane) looks a better reel than the Ci4 to me, and could suit? Has core protect coating etc but no seals. I'd probably check out the bio master sw too. I want reels that'll cope better with a dunking etc. Wish the spheros sw came smaller than 5000. Almost completely sealed although not for cranking while submerged like a VS.

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The stradic fk (higane) looks a better reel than the Ci4 to me, and could suit? Has core protect coating etc but no seals. I'd probably check out the bio master sw too. I want reels that'll cope better with a dunking etc. Wish the spheros sw came smaller than 5000. Almost completely sealed although not for cranking while submerged like a VS.
Cheers, will check out the Stradic reviews, especially now they have dropped those double handles on it. Nice one.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
i must admit i do like my rareniums i have a spare thats for parts and a new one .but ive also got the biomaster and never used that yet but do like the feel of it .even though its heavier than the rarenium

·
The cheeky Essex lure fisher
13,191 Posts
Just brought one from chesil
The fb
Had two fa s great reels
If it lasts a season that's allright with me
It's just a standing for a Stella sw
Hope I don't run into probs
But the way work is it probably won't get much work lols
Will let u know how I get on though

Reactions: swansea Jack

·
13,191 Posts
I used a Rarenium fb the whole of last season and think it's a great little reel. It's still going strong although I'm thinking of upgrading to a Sustain to go with my new rod.
Get a Stella lols

·
13,191 Posts
I'm pushing the boat out as it is for a Sustain. We haven't all got your wodge, Baz! :p
Just have to sell my soul mate to get it

Gees gone for another van stal
Not for me
Had a go of his Stella rearly like it
Nearly bomb proof
Looked at all the others
Not for me

Reactions: swansea Jack

·
Registered
468 Posts
Good God guy's tackle tarts or what ! ! Just got me a Ryobi Slam 3000 for £50, more than adequate for the size of fish we catch, corrosion proof, Japanese made, save your money for the better things in life !

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Good God guy's tackle tarts or what ! ! Just got me a Ryobi Slam 3000 for £50, more than adequate for the size of fish we catch, corrosion proof, Japanese made, save your money for the better things in life !
Ryobi make fishing reels? Hmmm, I only know Ryobi from their chainsaws, and if their reels are anything like the same quality, I wouldn't look twice at them. Hopefully you'll get a lot of trouble free fishing with it, but for £50 I would have personally gone for an Exage.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Was always going to expect that type of reply ! ! Actually my reel of choice at present is a Shimano Aernos 4000 FB which is more than adequate for the size size of fish we are likely to encounter in our waters. The Ryobi was bought as a backup, and being the latest model, I think will serve me well in any eventuality. Personally, I think it will be no trouble at all, and will probably be no worse than any other reel costing double the price. Just remember, the more you pay the more you lose , fact ! !

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
Was always going to expect that type of reply ! ! Actually my reel of choice at present is a Shimano Aernos 4000 FB which is more than adequate for the size size of fish we are likely to encounter in our waters. The Ryobi was bought as a backup, and being the latest model, I think will serve me well in any eventuality. Personally, I think it will be no trouble at all, and will probably be no worse than any other reel costing double the price. Just remember, the more you pay the more you lose , fact ! !
I'm not sure why you keep defending your reels as being, "more than adequate for the size size of fish we are likely to encounter in our waters". I'm pretty sure none of us here buy expensive reels just in case we hook into a marlin!

I personally spend more because I know I get better QUALITY. I stick to reliable brands because they stand on years of reputation and experience in producing the goods they do. I'd rather pay more for something that I know will last a long time, take a lot of stick and be reliable, than buy something cheap that won't last and will need replacing more often.

Like I said, I have no idea what Ryobi reels are like, but if they're anything like their other products then they're not going to be professional quality, and would be best bought for occasional, light use. I'm sure it would be perfectly capable a landing a bass, but what about many bass over a few seasons? I may well be wrong, and sincerely hope you get good service from it, but it's not what I'd chose to spend my hard earned cash on.

And as for, " the more you spend the more you lose", there is such a thing as false economy.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I learnt early on buy cheap buy twice...actually think it may have been 4 or 5 £30-50 reels.
I've had 2 rareniums and sold one and still got a 3000 in its 3rd season. Also got a C14 Stradic FA , the stradic has held its smoothness and cosmetically looks like a rarenium 4000 fa, but I've had it for 2 years bought it 2nd hand and it is still faultless.Also Neither has had a shimano service and I've not needed to strip down, just replaced the line roller bearings.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts