World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys.

Does anyone know any useful info on this mark? Always known about it being local to the area, and always heard a lot of good things about how it can produce on its day.

Only thing is, I'm not sure where exactly it is or how to get there.

I fish the flagpole often and also the usual Mark's around holyhead. But I'm out on a day session this week for my birthday outing and really fancy giving this one ago. Maybe grab a birthday ray or something that's not just a dog fish.

Any info would be appreciated guys. I know people dont like giving info on Marks, just thought I'd give it a shot.

Thanks

· Banned
1,107 Posts
Reactions: Kippaxkid

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reactions: Guest..

· Registered
8,436 Posts
Good spot for species-hunting, if you like that sort of thing! Cast a boom-bearing paternoster with size 6 hooks and mackerel/squid strips out to long rage and move it about across the clean ground. All the gurnards, plaice, dabs and dragonets can be caught by that method.

· Registered
4,878 Posts
Yes a fish species filled place! I remember a very steep smoothist slab from high water down to low with a flatish bit at the bottom. If there with colleagues you had to be first otherwise you fished at the top of the long slab. Obviously landing stuff was difficult if on the slope. Never really worried me as I rarely caught anything! These days, if lowered there by helicopter, I'd use my float/species rod. Clear bottom except close in at the bottom. For someone timid like me the slope was not enjoyable when wet!
Getting there from the estate took a little nerve as, although there was a narrow footpath between houses, it ended in a garden wall. Getting over was no problem but then you had to walk along the top of another wall heading towards the cliff top! I always parked outside the estate and walked in. Best was once when someone staying in one of the cliff side cottages (many are/were let) let us through the garden right onto the cliff top obviously an angler!
The only other event, quite common, were local lads bombing into the sea from the top of the slab! Didn't worry the fish as water deep, but worried me in case I had to take part in a rescue! Can remember telling them I'd cast my line and "big hooks" if they got into difficulty!!

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we fished Ravenspoint today.

After asking winnies where is best to park, and how to find the venue, we headed over to the mark.
The weather was amazing, sky was blue with not a cloud in the sky, wind was about 5mph west. Great conditions. Fishing 4 up, 4 down.

Baits we had: Peeler, rag, frozen lug, mackerel, lance. Sandeel and squid. We were ready for this fishing trip.

Rigs to use: 2 up 1 down size 4 hooks, 2 hook flapper size 1 hooks, pulley pennal size 4/O and size 2/O hooks and a flaty rig.

How can we possibly not catch today??????

Well 9 hours sat on the mark with a mixture of tactics and all we caught was: 1 Ballan, 1 Pollock, 2 Corkwing wrasse, a starfish and a small lobster (all returned safely)

Turned out to be a very difficult and challenging day. Lots of rigs lost to snags when using gripped weights, then too much rolling around when using plain weights.

Dont get me wrong, we totally expect days like these when fishing, and we did have the odd really good bites, but just wasnt happening for us at all.

Did see a HUGE splash after something breached the surface in front of us, could have been a porpoise? Would explain the lack of bites I guess.

Met the bloke who lives next to the path leading to the headland on the way back to the car. He seemed very friendly and welcoming, having seen that we had kept to the path he had made for anglers to follow, and the hole in the wall he had built. Also took notice of the bag of rubbish with us.

Not giving up on this mark, may have just been the today!

Thanks for your help as well guys

· Banned
1,107 Posts
Often times the best fishing coincides with the worst weather...and vice versa.
Try a weak link to your grip lead to minimize losses. DONT buy the ready made ones from gemini or breakaway, they are too expensive. Make your own from an upside down lead clip attached to a right way up lead clip by a link of 15lb mono with a figure of 8 knot in the middle. The two clips link together simply by hanging the bait clips off each other, that way you can cast safely and the weak link is released upon contact with the water.

· Registered
8,475 Posts
Well we fished Ravenspoint today.

After asking winnies where is best to park, and how to find the venue, we headed over to the mark.
The weather was amazing, sky was blue with not a cloud in the sky, wind was about 5mph west. Great conditions. Fishing 4 up, 4 down.

Baits we had: Peeler, rag, frozen lug, mackerel, lance. Sandeel and squid. We were ready for this fishing trip.

Rigs to use: 2 up 1 down size 4 hooks, 2 hook flapper size 1 hooks, pulley pennal size 4/O and size 2/O hooks and a flaty rig.

How can we possibly not catch today??????

Well 9 hours sat on the mark with a mixture of tactics and all we caught was: 1 Ballan, 1 Pollock, 2 Corkwing wrasse, a starfish and a small lobster (all returned safely)

Turned out to be a very difficult and challenging day. Lots of rigs lost to snags when using gripped weights, then too much rolling around when using plain weights.

Dont get me wrong, we totally expect days like these when fishing, and we did have the odd really good bites, but just wasnt happening for us at all.

Did see a HUGE splash after something breached the surface in front of us, could have been a porpoise? Would explain the lack of bites I guess.

Met the bloke who lives next to the path leading to the headland on the way back to the car. He seemed very friendly and welcoming, having seen that we had kept to the path he had made for anglers to follow, and the hole in the wall he had built. Also took notice of the bag of rubbish with us.

Not giving up on this mark, may have just been the today!

Thanks for your help as well guys
A shame to hear about the snags and the fact that you didn't catch more :( but it's definitely worth giving the place another go ;).

Great to hear about the path and the hole in the wall though, the guy who built the wall in the first place had no time for anglers so it's good to hear that the new guy is more accommodating :).

Well done for clearing up there too :thumbsup:, if the lazy [email protected]$#@&*$ who make the mess in the first place were a bit more thoughtful :mad2: then we might have easy access to a lot more great fishing marks.

Good spot for species-hunting, if you like that sort of thing! Cast a boom-bearing paternoster with size 6 hooks and mackerel/squid strips out to long rage and move it about across the clean ground. All the gurnards, plaice, dabs and dragonets can be caught by that method.
A baited shrimp rig fished with a plain lead is also a great way to species hunt there ;).

Reactions: John Mason

· Registered
690 Posts
There have been some cracking Tope caught off Ravens point on the odd occasion, i myself have had some good Plaice there although i haven't been there for a long time, i seem to remember having to step over a gully near a wall high up the rocks,don't fancy it now especially in the dark.:oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.