World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right i have managed to find a supply of raw tiger prawns frozen at sea
they a good size (about the same size as a squid) and they pretty cheap anybody use them? how you find them? what species take them?

cheers wilba

·
Registered
11,131 Posts
there was a huge buzz about them about a year ago and lots reported getting results on them but it seems to have died down now. try doing a search for them.

·
Registered
6,973 Posts
right i have managed to find a supply of raw tiger prawns frozen at sea
they a good size (about the same size as a squid) and they pretty cheap anybody use them?
cheers wilba

On skewers, brush with sesame oil and Lime juice and barbeque slowly until the flesh has turned from translucent to white, eat with home made mayonnaise and a green salad.............lovely;)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Iv done quite alot with prawns and I had alot of takes but always missed the fish. I dont think many fish will turn there nose up at a good prawn. The depth that you fish is bound to sugest the fish that takes. I float fished them and I reckon that I should have had a flying trace on the rig as the fish just ripped the prawn off leaving the treble.
Try on the bottom for wrasse and move it up for the pollock and bass close into the rocks.

·
Registered
360 Posts
used them yesturday(herne bay) ,we tried lug, squid,mackerel and peeler but found the very best bait for smoothounds was tiger prawns, must have caught 15 smoothies .At first we were getting lots of takes and no fish but as the prawns had defrosted I poured some sardine oil in the bag and gave them a good shake after that we couldn't go wrong best days fishing I have had on the boat (second season).So i'll be off to costco for a few more .

·
Severn Area Rescue
12,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
On skewers, brush with sesame oil and Lime juice and barbeque slowly until the flesh has turned from translucent to white, eat with home made mayonnaise and a green salad.............lovely;)

sounds nice do they sell them in mcdonalds:unsure:

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hi Wilba, I've used tesco uncooked prawn for about a year now.
I caught my only fish of the day, a Dogfish, at the WSF comp at the Knap on Sunday. I've caught Cod to 3LB from the shore when they weren't feeding on Ragworm and stacks of Whiting.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
They are a good bait, however relating them to being as effective as peeler is perhaps the reason for there dip in popularity. Good yes, but in my opinion certainly nowhere near a fresh peeler, or even a frozen one. I think what is very attractive about them though is that they are cheap and readily available from tackle shops and supermarkets, unlike the peeler crab (unless you collect your own). I have taken small codling, coalfish, pollack, whiting, dab, flounder, wrasse and dogfish all on just a plain tiger prawn so a variety of species do take the bait. I would also say it is a good 'standby' bait in the Northeast for whiting when they are in if you get let down on your worm (although so is squid and mackerel). I have had success with it over the Southwest coat of Scotland on it aswell for coalie and dogfish too. On other venues i have not caught on it, and a switch to black lug or peeler has sometimes bought a response. Occasions when it has just not worked, are when i have used it fishing for bass, when i have tried it after being unable to find them. Also on a few occasions when fishing into the Northumbrian kelp for red codling aswell it has failed to produce a response. Noticably when others around me using peeler caught a few fish. It is worth carrying as it makes a decent bait or a good tipping off bait, however i just think that rating it the same as peeler is very misleading. try it and if it doesn't work so be it, if it does then keep using it. i have found that it can be regional, and sometimes it has worked on some marks then not on other marks near to the venue.

·
The Chosen One
4,518 Posts
used them for codling,rays and pollack always get mine from the fish counter at tescos about 3.50 for a frozen bag of em:)

·
Registered
21,236 Posts
whats it like on the hook for distance casting . is it any softer than peeler.

found they stay on pretty well.even had cocktails where the prawn has stayed but the squid strips have'nt.but best to use a bit of elastic if power casting:)

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
one of the kentish lads (i think on here) had some good codling on them at the beginning of the year. can't remember his screen name though.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
use the shell on ones depending on what size hook ur using thread the prawn through from the top till the tail comes out by the point it should sit on the hook really nice and cos the hook point is under the tail its hard for fish to strip it without gettin hooked

·
Registered
808 Posts
If crabs are in short supply use half a crab with a whole tiger prawn laid along side it an bound up with elastic. Works for summer rock cod for me. In winter I have had cod on plain tiger prawn tipped off with a small squid head, sometimes in preference to worm baits. Instead of using a single hook rig try a double portsmouth loop with your traditional bait on one hook and try the prawn on the other, you might be suprised by the results ! I was

1 - 19 of 19 Posts