.what bait
.what tide
.what time of day
.what type of beach

cheers if any 1 can help :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Firstly, check out the sections on thornies and spotteds on the main website. Also try local tackle shops and anglers for up to date info. Be careful though coz in some areas not many anglers know how to catch them. Information can therefore be sparse and of indeterminate age.
Try to narrow your hunt down to one or two marks and fish them a lot. As a general guide try big tides, high quality fishy baits (sandeel, squid, mackerel, herring), peeler crab, prawn, and preferably at night. That's just to give you the best chance of a fish. You might like to tell us where you are and what species you're after so that people can give you more specific info for your area.

Rhod.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
hi rockhopper

i love fishing for rays,and fish the east yorks [humberside] coast.

one of the things i have found is that rays like some movement of water over their backs,so look for somewhere with a bit of tidal movement.

also you will find that if you land one there will be several others close by,so multiple catches are possible.

calm evening spring tides on warm overcast days tend to be most productive.

peelers are a great bait but the majority of my fish have come to mackeral/squid or sandeel/squid wraps,particularly the latter [also good for bass!]

pulley rigs with strong snoods are a good choice of rig with hook sizes around 4/0.vikings and varivas big mouths are very good.

make sure you have a pair of pliers to unhook any rays,NEVER put your fingers in their mouths as they could get crushed

if a ray takes your bait it will flap about on top of it for a while,so ignore any rattles and wait for the rod tip to pull over,it takes them a while to find the bait with their mouths

finally,enjoy your ray fishing and treat them with care and you will have some fantastic sport

hope this is some help

sean

·
Registered
303 Posts
Will everyone posting on this thread please do so quietly so not as to attract blueskip, we have to think of his health!! thankyou

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rock Hopper this one (if the piccy has uploaded) was from your neck of the woods last Saturday - and is the one that started the "discussion" with Blueskip.

It was a 9lb Thornback (wouldn't open its wings for the piccy) taken at Fresh Water East on a 4/0 3/0 pennel loop rig 3' bottom snood on sandeel/mackarel and squid. caught just as tide started to make after bottom water.

Tight Lines

Attachments

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
I have also that that a 36 grenade, tipped with a luminous grub, is a very good bait for em !!!!!!!
blueskip

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Why don't we just give this a break now hey blue?

You hate ray fishing, alot of others like it, its just the way it is :D

I'm going to close all the topics regarding ray now...but if ever one crops up again...just ignore it blue lol thats the beauty of a forum, you don't have to read everything everybody ever says.

Mike Jr

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.