World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Set off for the first session of my hunt for the rays last night at 19:30 with high tide at 22:22. Got to bognor pier and started fishing at 20:00 never been so happy to see a calm sea and no wind after so many sessions this year being gale force winds, massive waves and heavy rain. Admired the clear sky and all the stars then set up just had the one rod out as didn't have a huge amount of bait. Was using my Daiwa bass rod and Daiwa opus 6000 reel, loaded with 18lb asso hardskin and a 40lb greased weasel shockleader. I clipped on the running ledger up and over rig I made and stuck on my first herring fillet, cast out about 50 meters on the right hand side of the pier and waited. After 25 minutes of my bait being in the water and having no bites on it I reeled in and changed for a pulley pennel rig. Stuck another herring fillet on and cast out, this time on the left hand side, sat, waited, nothing! After several bait changes and lots of waiting in anticipation, nothing happened all night, yep I blanked. Packed up and left at 22:30 as it was so bloody cold, weather apps were saying -3 degrees but it felt a lot colder. Was nice to be out in fishable conditions for once but sadly the rays didn't bite. But that's fishing for ya. Till next time. Tight lines.

·
Registered
379 Posts
still a bit early for rays around bognor mate, I've heard of a couple showing at selsey east, only a couple mind, and a few more around the gosport/solent beaches. If you can drive and really want to catch a ray at the moment i'd head for these places, where others are catching them rather than just flinging one out at the local beach where the odds are against you.

All the best pal

·
Banned
14,950 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
still a bit early for rays around bognor mate, I've heard of a couple showing at selsey east, only a couple mind, and a few more around the gosport/solent beaches. If you can drive and really want to catch a ray at the moment i'd head for these places, where others are catching them rather than just flinging one out at the local beach where the odds are against you.

All the best pal
cheers for the info mate. Unfortunately I don't drive so Bognor and surrounding beaches are the only places I can get too. Going to walk a bit further next time and try aldwick, fingers crossed :) ill also use 2 rods next time, one for rays and one for scratching

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.