World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Anyone know what type of ray this is?caught it yesterday,but never seen one with markings like this before??

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks like a Roker (Thornback Ray) to me.
Caught loads of thornbacks aswell,different markings,Tom thought it may be a cuckoo or spotted ray??

15,082 Posts
Caught loads of thornbacks aswell,different markings,Tom thought it may be a cuckoo or spotted ray??
Ive caught many hundreds of Roker with markings like that.It isnt unusual.Did it have spikes or thorns along it's tail? Any 'Hook' type thorns on it's body anywhere? You cannot really tell a Roker by it's markings,they can vary and many,many types of marks.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Hi all
Anyone know what type of ray this is?caught it yesterday,but never seen one with markings like this before??
spotted ray mate A

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive caught many hundreds of Roker with markings like that.It isnt unusual.Did it have spikes or thorns along it's tail? Any 'Hook' type thorns on it's body anywhere? You cannot really tell a Roker by it's markings,they can vary and many,many types of marks.
Yes it had very small thorns on its tail,caught 14 other ray,that all looked the same,but this one didnt!must be the gs425 of the ray world!

·
Registered
4,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Unless spotted Rays have thorns,it's a Thornback Ray then.
Look at post 6,fish looks the same,and it says spotted ray have spines/thorns aswell?

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
You've therefore caught a few spotties (or Homelyns as they are called in some places), Ron, for that is what it is!

Davy will give the definitive answer I am sure, but that's what I think it is!

Cheers - John

15,082 Posts
You've therefore caught a few spotties (or Homelyns as they are called in some places), Ron, for that is what it is!

Davy will give the definitive answer I am sure, but that's what I think it is!

Cheers - John
They certainly are not spotted Rays around here John...Not unless we get a British record by more than 50% all the time.All I can say is we get Roker with those markings!

G

·
If John is being truthful about it's weight. He told me 11lb.

It is either NOT a spotted ray IMHO or it has just obliterated the British Record for Spotties.

I am almost positive it isn't a thorny. We get a lot of spikey rays down our ways. Thornies are a relative rarity, compared with Undulates, Painted, some Spotties, Blondes.
I know the bank John caught it from and it's a corking Ray mark. I've beaten and equalled the Undulate Ray record from there on numerous occasions, but always in Winter. Never fished it in Summer so it's nice to see a few different species on there then too.

Tom

Spotted Ray..... and hugely impressive new record (or John lied about the weight)...or is it a Blonde...?

G

·
I also have one of those Lidl's landing nets (as a spare, lol) and my estimate of the the weight of that ray would be around 5 1/2-6lb. The one I had last year was 4 1/2lb and this one is slightly bigger. Still a good specimen but no record breaker!
Get some new scales John:eek:hmy:

1 - 20 of 60 Posts