World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably not best suited to the Scotland Forum, but then where else would I post it?

I found this link last night on Youtube, and was quite amazed at the way folk used to catch fish with a hawthorn. I always wondered how they did it, now I know!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cs37T2tr7R0

Thought I'd post it here incase there were any other sad gits like me that would be interested.

Cheers,

JBS

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Well as a big Ray Mears fan, and slightly biased here (Forgive me) but I'm going to pop this in to General where it will get a bit more attention. :)

Amazing the skills we've lost over the generations. ;)

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
you dont need hooks when fishing in the aboriginal stlye, just bind the bait(worms) on wool thread, the wool thread sticks to the teeth and course plates in the fishes mouth, they also swallow the thread, making it easier to land, they dont feel any resistance to the hook.
have caught many eels and brook trout, flounders etc in small inlets to the usk, when going native.:clap2:

·
Registered
12,181 Posts
My father used to catch eels that hid in the holes in the wall of the canal lock, by threading a worm onto a gramaphone needle, tied onto twine, the eels would inhale the worm, then as he pulled the twine the needle would jam across its throat.:)
He then used a forked stick, with the line in the fork, to pull the eel out of the hole, he used to call it "sniggling", he would catch loads when he went, we would go from lock to lock, a few weeks later all the holes would be repopulated.:yeah:
blueskip

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I wonder if the new 'circle hook' trend will be replaced by a 'hawthorn' pattern. I can see it now, Mustad wide gaped blued hawthorn! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ray Mears is a legend :clap2: :clap2: .....thanks to his shows Im now fully prepared for when Im stranded on a desert island:help: :laugh: ..Anyone seen Bear Grylls on tv??.,,hes like ray mears but on speed, last time I saw he was biting into a fish while it was still riggling

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
havnt watched it (but being a ray mears fanatic) is it the one were he gets flattys on some thames mud flats?

the man is a legend,

p,s bear gryls is all a bit to alfa male for me
and think he likes to shock! that and most of it is a complete set up! ok he was sas!
mears trained the sas!

he is in a diffrent league mate!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its not the spearfishing one in France, it is the one where he catches Flounder from the Thames. And not a bad size either. I also like the idea of catching EEls on a grammaphone needle, That amuses me. Must try for eels sometime....

·
Registered
62 Posts
nice one , ray mears what a bloke. my old grandad used to catch eels using sheeps wool off the fence, by tying it to the twine as a lure and the eels would get it stuck in the fine teeth

·
Registered
247 Posts
He's just caught more in one go than I have all year, brilliant video though just downloaded it to watch again later.
I love watching Ray Mears the man is a legend :notworthy and the lucky sod gets to do all the types of things I wanted to do as a kid

·
Registered
27 Posts
havnt watched it (but being a ray mears fanatic) is it the one were he gets flattys on some thames mud flats?

the man is a legend,

p,s bear gryls is all a bit to alfa male for me
and think he likes to shock! that and most of it is a complete set up! ok he was sas!
mears trained the sas!

he is in a diffrent league mate!
Yeah I know what you mean the show looks completely set up alright..and the guy rushes around a bit too much for a guy whos trying to conserve energy IMO.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
he seems to forget the golden rule of matching energy output
with energy intake! the way he crashes about makes no sence!
atleast mears dosnt make any secret of taking along the odd
mars bar and basher!
think the title "born survivor" is a little ambitious
tho as a kid id of loved it! but then again one of my main
hobbys was getting survival manuals out of the library
and seeing how much stuff i could pack into a tobacco tin!

a strange little boy with not many friends lol!

·
Accepts cakes as bribes.
12,213 Posts
Who the hell is bear gryls? And why does he have a daft name? :blink:

I heard a rumour that Ray always carries a telescopic rod on his travels and has the occasional dunk. :)

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
ray mears followed in the steps of that wiseman bloke (think hes retired from the sas now and is a milkman)
hes ok but bear grylls and others are more watchable than ray mears who seams to atract the tobaco tin survivalists that are only ever half a mile away from a shop and cant wait for an emergency to happen so they can kill someone faster
trying to save them and get out theyre multi tool survival knife with suturing kit in

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Ray mears is another classic, when I was 12 my parents bought me his hard back 'Survival Handbook'. I read it that much the covers fell off, I must get another copy.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts