World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my eye on this beach feature, with a pool of water trapped by sandbanks, thinking it should fish better than the featureless beach north and south. Opportunity arose last night to get on the beach by low tide at midnight to check it out then fish the tide up till dawn.

It was too shallow for the first couple of hours but a nice warm night to watch the stars. It never really got dark with a glow in the northern sky over Flamborough Head and out to the east.

First bite about 02:30 from a whiting, then a really good pull on a squid/sandeel cocktail gave me my first shore-caught thornback. Target species, and delighted with that.

By 03:00 it starts getting light enough to see the rod tips without the headlamp. Nothing like getting a fish to give confidence, so now re-baiting every ten minutes both rods, and taking care with bait presentation. It paid off with two more rays, both small spotted rays, then as the sunrise broke, that was it.

Got home knackered at 6, good sleep, barbecue on for lunch, heard Cav won another stage and then watched England win then the tennis final. If that's not a perfect day, I don't know what is.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
1st class report and pics mate.
Homework done, put into practice. Well done on 1st shore caught thornback. All your fish are deserved for the effort put in. 👏👏👍👍

1 - 2 of 2 Posts