World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Raymarine DS400x with Transom Transducer - £259 from J G Tech last week, what an excellent little piece of kit, i fitted it to my boat the day i got it and fitted the transducer as per the instructions. Took the boat out on Thursday to try it out and make any adjustments, well it just worked fine as it was, didn't need to adjust the transducer, the readings all seemed right and a brilliant picture on the screen.
The transducer gives speed, temp and depth readings.
It has a lots different settings in the menu to fine tune everything, most of which have "Auto" settings, after going through the menus, i couldn't see much benefit to changing anything from default, maybe in time when i'm more experienced.
All in all, a really good piece of kit and easy enough to fit, although bear in mind i have only had it a week and used it once, knowing my luck, next time out it'll explode :g:

Oh - and i passed my VHF licence test on Saturday :clap2:

Cheers.
AL ..

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
I have the DS500X and can`t fault it.
The only problem i have had was when i first got it the screen would get condensation behind the glass.
This is a know problem to Raymarine and i sent it to them and they changed the glass to a different thickness i belive which cured the problem.It was there and back in about 4 days.
If you get a problem with condensation give them a call and they will soon sort it out.

Alan

G

·
Going up one more model, I have the DX600. I have never had to adjust the setting either. Mine also has an engine hours counter on it, obviously not that accurate although connected to my gps via NMEA as it must run the timer even when the boat is drifting, but at least it gives an idea.
I have also had the condensation problem on very cold mornings but it soon clears.

G

·
Love my DSM300 which turns my plotter screen into a fishfinder too.

The only problem I ever have with it is when other boats are drifting a wreck within about 100m of me. My sounder obliterates the signal to theirs unless I turn the gain down on it. Then I lose some of the clarity.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine does some other things via the NMEA, can't remember exactly what now - I like the sound of it putting the fishfinder on the plotter, is that via the NMEA connection as well ?
I have Garmin Atlantic BlueCharts running on a laptop for a plotter, would it be possible to do it on the laptop do you know ?

Oh and yes, i get the condensation as well, i got that as soon as i turned it on, within a few minutes, a small circle in the middle of the screen, does it have to go to america or have Raymarine got a place in the UK ?
AL ..

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have the DS500X and can`t fault it.

If you get a problem with condensation give them a call and they will soon sort it out.

Alan
That's a great bit of info, cheers Alan. :clap3:

Mine's always steaming up. We thought it might have due to it being left on the boat but the plotter and DSC screens are fine, just the fishfinder that steams up - almost to the point of not being able too see anything!!

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Oh and yes, i get the condensation as well, i got that as soon as i turned it on, within a few minutes, a small circle in the middle of the screen, does it have to go to america or have Raymarine got a place in the UK ?
AL ..
Contact them here...

Raymarine plc
Robinson Way
Anchorage Park
Portsmouth
Hampshire
PO3 5TD

Tel....023 9269 3611/650153

Alan

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
Mine does some other things via the NMEA, can't remember exactly what now - I like the sound of it putting the fishfinder on the plotter, is that via the NMEA connection as well ?
I have Garmin Atlantic BlueCharts running on a laptop for a plotter, would it be possible to do it on the laptop do you know ?

AL ..
No :uhuh:

The fishfinder Tom Bettle is talking about is for a combinded Plottter/sounder..
The DSM300 is an add on for the C & E series multifunction displays.
http://www.raymarine.com/raymarine/ProductDetail.asp?site=1&section=2&page=1021&product_id=3045

Alan

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the contact details Alan.

I looked at my manual, mine will send a load of data via NMEA, not the same as Toms, as you say it's a different thing altogether, but, i think i'll make up a lead and see what it does display and how it looks, just out of curiosity really.
AL ..

·
Registered
513 Posts
I had a Raymarine DS 400, no complaints, but the quality of the multipin socket, mounting bracket, and screen cover, was cheap compared to the Garmin 168 plotter/sounder unit I had.
Good techno but poorly put together.
Rgds TB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts