World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi

today i went to deep sea world to drool all over the glass lol ,massive bass ,rays congers and sharks one of which was a tope .one observation i did see today that i had never seen before was a thornback ray using its anal fins like small legs , the ray was above me in the acrylic tunnel pushing itself along with its anal fins using them almost like the were small feet ,right foot, left foot,all the way along ,and to top it of as it walked /glided down the glass the 2 anal fins came forward to brace the fish from the impact of hitting the bottom ,just as it hit the bottom the 2 anal fines started walking again until the fish was completely flat and then i couldn't see anymore.

has anybody else seen this before and do you know if all rays do this ...

note ;the fish was a female because it had no claspers

mark

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup it's quite common behaviour for them. :)

cool , i was utterly amazed .do you still keep the marine cold water tanks davy.

mark

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
Something similar Mark
I took the kids to St Andrews marine center last week & spotted a Thornie swimming almost vertical, half in half out of the surface, . I must have stood watching it for 10 mins, in which time it didn't stop, it's mouth was totally clear of the water & only dipping into it occasionally.

·
The Oracle
8,208 Posts
cool , i was utterly amazed .do you still keep the marine cold water tanks davy.

mark
Yup it is cool to watch, I can spend hours in those places :)

I've e not got the tank set up just now as I don't have a spare corner in the flat for it :(
The plan is to sell the corner tanks and get a 5x2x2 and build that into a wall.. that should give me something to work with :)

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
As they say on the jokes forum, Get yer coat!!

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
are you sure there wasnt a hot girl in the tunnel with you and he was just showing her how big his kahoonas are............:g: :blink:
i love aquariums, the best one ive been to so far in this country is the one in plymouth, i could spend hours in there!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
are you sure there wasnt a hot girl in the tunnel with you and he was just showing her how big his kahoonas are............:g: :blink:
i love aquariums, the best one ive been to so far in this country is the one in plymouth, i could spend hours in there!
only time you'll see a ray this year kol

·
Official Jokes Forum Examiner
61,171 Posts
hi

today i went to deep sea world to drool all over the glass lol ,massive bass ,rays congers and sharks one of which was a tope .one observation i did see today that i had never seen before was a thornback ray using its anal fins like small legs , the ray was above me in the acrylic tunnel pushing itself along with its anal fins using them almost like the were small feet ,right foot, left foot,all the way along ,and to top it of as it walked /glided down the glass the 2 anal fins came forward to brace the fish from the impact of hitting the bottom ,just as it hit the bottom the 2 anal fines started walking again until the fish was completely flat and then i couldn't see anymore.

has anybody else seen this before and do you know if all rays do this ...

note ;the fish was a female because it had no claspers

mark
never seen that before ..... most interesting , might be some sort of stealth approach to capture there prey :g: :g: :g:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
If you ever get up the North West, it's always worth a quick visit to Blue Planet. They have a "petting tank" there and the thornies will come to the surface to be stroked, kids absolutely love it

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
If you ever get up the North West, it's always worth a quick visit to Blue Planet. They have a "petting tank" there and the thornies will come to the surface to be stroked, kids absolutely love it
went to sea world in florida a few years back and they had a similar thing with manta rays, if you put your hand in with them they would come and have a suck on it. wouldnt advise doing it in the shark tank though.:blink:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts
went to sea world in florida a few years back and they had a similar thing with manta rays, if you put your hand in with them they would come and have a suck on it. wouldnt advise doing it in the shark tank though.:blink:

I just had a totally evil thought there :spiteful:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts