World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

I hope you don't mind about this being in both the cooking section and general section, but I want as much sensible info as possible.

I am very pleased with myself after going out at low tide and finally managing to get myself a whole stack of razor clams.
Now some I want to use for bait, but I have very fond memories of spanish restaurants serving up razor clams in various forms (usually in garlic butter) and I need your sound advice on the best way to prepare them for eating NOT fishing!!!

1) How do you gut them
2) Your favourite way to cook them
3) Any other tips as I really want to make the most of them

Thanks
Tom

·
Registered
578 Posts
1. Don't gut them
2. Whole in a hot pan with butter and garlic/chilli
3. Flash fry only, I made the mistake of removing form the shell and cooking moderate heat, don't, flash fry with shells on and gut as part of eating, or just eat the guts as well. Best give them a good wash first to try and get the sand out.

·
Registered
8,024 Posts
i have them in my local......lovely! they just put them whole on a very hot steel flat cooking surface, and driggle a tiny bit of olive oil, that has fine chopped garlic and parsley in it, on top.
scoff them as they are, no need to do anything about guts etc.yum.:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
thats about it give them a GOOD wash first then do them in their shells like mussels but for longer, then its the same as most shellfish its up to you which bits take your fancy. Wouldn't say that you should discount cooking them out of their shells but bear in mind they take seconds rather than minutes to be at their best.Personally wouldn't waste them by using them as bait as can't think of anything you might catch that tastes better .

·
Registered
12,163 Posts
Poofter cook on the beeb at 1830 this evening cooked them but only served up the foot bit!!

·
Freeloader
6,660 Posts
i have them in my local......lovely! they just put them whole on a very hot steel flat cooking surface, and driggle a tiny bit of olive oil, that has fine chopped garlic and parsley in it, on top.
scoff them as they are, no need to do anything about guts etc.yum.:)
now that sounds yum yum mouth watering stuff

·
Registered
182 Posts
Tom - you can cook them in or out of their shells. Someone mentioned the garlic above. You can also add to the butter and garlic a small (or large depending upon your tastes !) amount of freshly chopped red chilli - just gives a bite to it. Great with some sticky white rice and a cold bottle of lager.

You can also cook them in their shells and do them as you would with Moules Mariniere (mussles in white wine) - softly fry some shallots in butter in the bottom of the pan, add the clams, about two to three large glasses of white wine and cook until the clams have opened - about 4 to 5 mins max. Then add some double cream and freshly chopped parsley and give it a stir. Don't add any salt because of course it won't need it as the sea water in the shells gives you all the salt you want. Serve them in a large bowl with some crunchy white baguette or whatever bread takes your fancy and away you go. One of the best meals you'll ever get. Again, you could add some freshly chopped chilli to this if you want !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I knew I could count on you lot.

Your all stars! Thanks

I have to say I am a bit of a wolly woofter though.
Eating the guts doesn't appeal, particularly after gutting the ones I had last night I found them stuffed full of what looked like tiny ragworm.

Ate the lot I caught last night with garlic butter, out to get some more tonight if anyone fancies joining me down at Sandbanks....

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
The most appetising way I've seen of cooking them was done by Rick Stein. Fry them briefly in butter and squeeze over some lemon juice. looked fantastic!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts