World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as ive never used this, just wondered how many of you lot do?

are they any good and where/how do you collect them?

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i've used them once, i fished a dropping tide on a beach in norfolk and caught 7 bass between 3 and 6 pounds on rag, then ran out of bait at the bottom, we thought it would be belter of a rising tide so we collected razors at low water, and didn't ge a touch. it could have been the bass had moved on, but i didn't like the look of them, they seemed rubbery and had very little scent value, but thats just me, the magazine's seem to rave about them tho.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
look under fishing baits on the front page m8. scroll down till u find razorfish, top bait wen fresh for the bass........sorry or just look over on the left of this page, in blue,

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
i meant to say they are easy enough to collect, just pour salt down the hole or like we were doing which is alot more fun, look for the holes run up and turn a forkfull over as quickly as possible, find a good bed and u cn collect more than enough, u can always tell when u walk over a bed of them, water comes shooting out of the holes as u walk along, they dive really quickly.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
I collect them on a big spring tide from a local beach but as usual my method may be a bit strange. Big pan of water on the cooker and dissolve as much water in it as I can. Pour this into a backpack style garden sprayer. I go down the beach at low tide, put muck bucket down and start squirting the holes with the salt water. Do about 5 mins, put the sprayer down and walk back. The razors launch themselves out of the sand after a couple on minutes. Collect them up in the muck bucket working back to the sprayer. Carry on down the beach like this till I have enough. One session like this and I have enough for the year as they freeze well.

They work better than peelers in some areas I fish especially after a storm when they are naturally available in the foodchain.

My wife loves them fried in a little wine, garlic and butter with a twist of black pepper. To clean them for eating rinse under the tap and remove all the grey bits.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Very rare in the Swellies but one small patch available on really big tides. Nothing special really as a bait so think what Chris said about being part of the NORMAL food chain is pertinent. Got one razot fish on the last big tide when waliking back to rod and the vibration of my footfall had been too much and the 'fish' had hurled itself out! Otherwise I used to just dig deep and frantically on every hole - got my share of sand eels at the same time!

Never thought of eating them before, sounds great!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the replies guys.

another small question i have is can you use a bait pump to collect them?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts