World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to a bit of clumsy idiocy I broke a ring on my rod the other day. I've got no problem taking it off and whipping a new one on, but I have a question about the finish. I've trawled the internet and found a couple of pieces of advice that say to use Araldite Rapid to finish off - is this feasible? I'm not thinking so much about money (I have no problem with having to pay for hi-build) but time. Some of these products will go off much quicker, saving the turning of the rod every ten minutes for two or three hours. Is this possible or sensible, or should I just go with something like Seymo?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Snap . i have done exactly the same to my 2 week old Shimano spinning rod . I tied a very bad leader knot ,cast and had a spectacular crack off and lost the inner ring .
Any ideas how i can identify the make of guide/ring so i can buy an exact copy. tese have an S on them but i dont know if its for shimano or something else .
From looking at a few online pages whipping looks easy enough ,i hadnt got a far as reading about varnishing as yet . If araldite is suitable i have tons of it .It seems flexible enough i have have been using it to bond Nordic knive i have been carving . It too would appreciate any response .

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Entirely your own choice of course but I`d avoid araldite or similar two pack epoxies for anything other than fitting reel seats and the likes.

They are adhesives and will act as such but go very brittle and crack due to being virtually inflexible. You`ll also have a lot of bother getting a decent finish.

Stick with thread finish, Flex Cote, Threadmaster etc. They are casting resins and will take the shape of the blank (with turning) and gravity and with a wee bit of care will give you an excellent finish.

·
Registered
6,088 Posts
Snap . i have done exactly the same to my 2 week old Shimano spinning rod . I tied a very bad leader knot ,cast and had a spectacular crack off and lost the inner ring .
Any ideas how i can identify the make of guide/ring so i can buy an exact copy. tese have an S on them but i dont know if its for shimano or something else .
From looking at a few online pages whipping looks easy enough ,i hadnt got a far as reading about varnishing as yet . If araldite is suitable i have tons of it .It seems flexible enough i have have been using it to bond Nordic knive i have been carving . It too would appreciate any response .
most rods are `prepared in the far east nowadays so the likes of shimano and other makers have rings that are inferior to what seymo and fuji make take a look at hopkins and holloways rings i`m sure you will find a guide there

ambassador you can get a 5 minute epoxy but don`t use araldite unless you want to destroy your rod have a look for devcon this sets in aprox 30mins and if it is lumpy you can heat it up with a lighter to smooth it out with these `quick fixes` you can`t get the finish you will want but it does the job hope this helps

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
Most of the resins are much the same, some go off a bit quicker than others whilst using them.

My own choice for years that gives me few problems is Flex Coat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts