World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

I posted this in the South Coast section but I thought I should put it here too. I stumbled accross these little gems on evil bay, pocket books for the sea angler. They are really cheap, made in small numbers by the author by the looks of it. I picked up sea fish indentification, the rig book and the bait book. What can I say they are simply brilliant, the info and diagrams are beautiful and it's all very well presented and the info seems to come from a very experienced angler. I've been using mine alot, especially with learning to tie my own rigs (I've been losing lots lately :black_eye.) There are guides to specific areas of the south coast too, so I really reccomend those new to all this to pick some up. They've really helped me, even the experienced might find some new tip or nugget of info.

As links to auction sites are not allowed, here are the item numbers for the books from Ebay (Thanks to ETEC for posting the numbers):

Hope you find 'em helpful.

Jolly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Or, I found since we were talking on the other thread, that he also has a website with an online shop if you don't like Ebay. See here. Could you post a pic of what they're like, I have visions of just laminated pages you could do yourself, held together by string or something going by the Ebay description.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Alas my camera is dead! Oh well I can give a fair review of the actual quality of the book/printing.

The outer cover is colour printed on thick satin paper, it is laminated with a thin satin varnish type stuff but it does start to get a little soggy and sticky when the mist starts coming in on chesil! So I reccomend keeping them in a box or sealable bag. The paper within is good quality, better than your average printer paper. They are bound with staples as they aren't all that long but the binding is firm and they won't come apart. They are almost like pamphlets. The colour printing of diagrams/photos/illustrations is good, all the images are in colour which is nice. There is some pixillation on some of the images but not too bad as you can't get the necessary information from them. All the illustrations are backed up be clear and informative text in a readable font size.

Basically, the actual materials inks and whatnot are not of bookshop quality and if they get rained on or dropped in the sea you can say bye-bye to them. But if you keep them safe and out of the way of water and fish scales etc then they will last you. The information they cotain more than makes up for the material faults. Of course, one could always remove the binding and then have the pages laminated so they are a bit more beach friendly. But thats a bit overkill IMO.

Jolly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
OK, thanks for that, that's about what I was imagining. I've seen a few fish identifier charts on the net and was thinking of printing one of them out and laminating it (already have a laminator you see), so might just go that route, as there's loads of info on the net you print out yourself. Thanks again for the detail.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I bought one of these last year and I have to say in all honesty I was very dissapointed. The printing looked as if it had been done on a cheap inkjet, the pages were badly stapled in the middle, the text was misaligned, it had been trimmed on an office guillotine and it was generaly of poor quality. I know it was only a couple of quid but I expected better. Perhaps the quality has improved since then.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts