World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
popped into the big discount shop near liskeard wanted some rubbish line for backing, had a look at some fixed spools spinning reels more optimsm than any real chance of getting a good one, to my horror there was mitchel reels, black and gold ones next to fladen reels black and gold only difference was the wording on the box and reel, shocking really that some are the same just badged different and itll cost u a 10er for that badge.
happens more and more this esp from pure fishing.

went and got a daiwa costal from truro, bit more expensive used it twice bout 20 fish so far including a very nice PB bass, perfect performance and its outlasted a couple of reels ive had already.

G

·
popped into the big discount shop near liskeard wanted some rubbish line for backing, had a look at some fixed spools spinning reels more optimsm than any real chance of getting a good one, to my horror there was mitchel reels, black and gold ones next to fladen reels black and gold only difference was the wording on the box and reel, shocking really that some are the same just badged different and itll cost u a 10er for that badge.
happens more and more this esp from pure fishing.

went and got a daiwa costal from truro, bit more expensive used it twice bout 20 fish so far including a very nice PB bass, perfect performance and its outlasted a couple of reels ive had already.
Blimey.....what do you feel when exposed to war and starvation?

·
Registered
6,796 Posts
Blimey the other reels didn't last long as your Daiwa was only used twice, did they fall to bits as you took them out thier boxes?, what were they so others don't fall into the same trap?

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
penn 850s meanstreak. 3 lasted maybe 2 hours total fishing,

as for death an distruction I cope ok most days depends what newspaper I read. dont like this big corparate feel to fishing, 99% conn. some idiot with a spread sheet dreaming up sales never held a fishing rod in his life

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
You will probably find it would be a Pure Fishing reel that had been ripped off, made cheaper and sold under another badge...if you go to China Fish (trade event) it is amazing the amount of gear destined for a big name tackle brand that ends up being modified slightly (and it will be modified slightly internally) but looks identical on the outside - sold as an OEM product for re-badging.

It is the same with many things. You'll see a Nike shoe - exact same as what Nike will sell, but a factory has ripped off the design and build, made it slightly cheaper and made it an off the peg item to be re-badged by anybody else.

Rapala and Dexter Products are currently having similar problems. Cheap exact copies of their lures that are being sold off under other brand names at massively lower prices.

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,007 Posts
Incidentally if you get any of the sea angling magazines, Dexter have placed adverts to try and make people aware of it and have described the subtle differences between the two products.

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Incidentally if you get any of the sea angling magazines, Dexter have placed adverts to try and make people aware of it and have described the subtle differences between the two products.
Hello Mike thanks for the post I get both the mags and seen the advert, copies are poor rusty splits crap hooks etc. cheers mat

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Hi,

Just Google Chineese Fishing Tackle Manufacturers, you will be amazed at what you find, all the Top Names use them, and rebadge them for their own brand, £150 reels which sell wholesale for around $20 each!!

We are being ripped off big time by the big manufacturers.

British Fly Reels used to make Fly reels for Orvis, and sold at £200+, BFR sold to Chinese Company a good few years back, Wholesale price for a £200+ reel = $15.

Who are the mugs, look at Cabelas and Pro Bass, I bought Daiwa Exceller Plus reels there a few years back when the exchange rate was £2 to the dollar, $45 each,( £22.50) UK price at the time was £90+, greedy UK companies cashing in on the gullible UK market.

Get most of my tackle from the USA now, SAGE rods half UK price

Dave

·
Registered
21,535 Posts
You will probably find it would be a Pure Fishing reel that had been ripped off, made cheaper and sold under another badge...if you go to China Fish (trade event) it is amazing the amount of gear destined for a big name tackle brand that ends up being modified slightly (and it will be modified slightly internally) but looks identical on the outside - sold as an OEM product for re-badging.

It is the same with many things. You'll see a Nike shoe - exact same as what Nike will sell, but a factory has ripped off the design and build, made it slightly cheaper and made it an off the peg item to be re-badged by anybody else.

Rapala and Dexter Products are currently having similar problems. Cheap exact copies of their lures that are being sold off under other brand names at massively lower prices.
:fishing:
In the past when I reviewed tackle for the SAN I was amazed, at first, how similar/identical some reels were under different names, you could swap various parts and they fitted perfectly in any of them. The reason being that firms would buy 10,000 or so reels and have them in their colours with their name on. In fairness to some firms, they would be of a better quality than others of the same model, more/better bearings, bronze gears as opposed to white metal, better quality finish, better after sales service etc. I've got a couple of reels now that are identical in ALL respects except the name but one is almost twice the price of the other, I believe it's called marketing or salesmanship. Some anglers will pay more for a name. :fishing:

G

·
I saw a pair of trainers in ASDA with a rip off vibram sole. There's was even the moulding where they glue in the vibram logo, but it was left empty. The soles were a very soft rubber and I doubt they would lasted six months.

·
Registered
85 Posts
With regards the original post about those reels, as the 'proper' tackle shop in Liskeard I sell literally dozens of the Mitchell reel and have never (touch wood) had a problem with any of them. I stopped stocking Fladen a few years ago as we were hitting close to a 65 percent return rate.
As has been pointed out, they may look the same but the quality just isn't there and it's the old adage, you get what you pay for!

·
Registered
479 Posts
this is a good thing IMO as these products are massively overpriced - a bit of Chinese competition to shake up the market is good for consumers as retail prices will then have to drop

·
Read Only
14,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I bought some artificial bait by the name of "GILP" trying to save a few pence. It was absolutely useless. I nearly wished i`d bought the other stuff. :yucky:
tried that gulp copy also wasnt good either.

please someone copy tide minnows DC12s etc, 10 for a 10er seems about right for what they are.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts