World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, first post so I hope this one is in the right place.

I am returning to the sport after around 12 years and decided to get my awbs out of the attic (and my procaster).
By all accounts these are "vintage rods" but they were amazing to fish with. The procaster seemed a hell of alot stiffer/less forgiving than my awbs so never really got used.

My awbs tho are looking tired, especially my 126m.
So I'd like to rebuild or maybe have someone rebuild it.

IF I was to do it myself, how would I go about removing all the old varnish and paint from the blank. I really don't want to lose the diamond mesh/weave pattern that shimmers so well in the sun but I feel that wet'n'dry/sanding would remove/damage this.

And for the rebuild, where would I get the graphics?

Even better how much would it cost for a professional rod builder to do the work, using a similar spec to the original, maybe fuji alconite guides.

·
Registered
455 Posts
It was only eight hours, some of us have to go fishing you know!

Three grades of sandpaper to lose the original finish. Haven't owned those models so can't say if the weave is a manufactured process or a paint job, if the latter you'll lose it.

Improbable you'll get duplicate graphics from the makers after so long, but give it a go. Failing that, most graphic design or signwriters should be able to duplicate them on vinyl by computer. Have your name put on them at the same time, it all goes under the lacquer.

A rod build is labour intensive: a single ring replacement should be at least a fiver in a tackle shop, plus the cost of the ring. Sexy whipping and hi-build, far more. Before that comes the paint job and possibly a dozen coats of laquer in total. MK

Some rods change their action with age, getting softer toward the tip. Try them before you decide to invest. MK

Try Chris Ward, master rod builder, on google.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts