World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my boat moved back to Shotley marina in Suffolk on the 31st July, stayed overnight planning to have a little dabble either in Harwich Harbour along the South Shelf or in the Stour the next day, depending on how strong the wind was.

Picked up some fresh Lug and Rag on the way from Breakaway Tackle, the worst worms I have ever seen, the Lug were all 1" to 2" long, the rag were about 3" long and as thin as cotton, very disappointed with Breakaway Tackle...

Anyway, headed out to the South Shelf and fished for an hour or so with no bites, the wind picked up and was blowing 27kts, gusting 33kts so was lumpy to say the least, we headed back in and up the Stour to try for a Bass, water was both too coloured and too weedy for Lures and there wasn't really enough tide flow and too much cross wind to drift, so we fished at anchor, crabs were in plague proportions, stripping the bait immediately, so I set up a rig using a french boom, that I could slide up or down to keep away from the crabs and hopefully find a fish or two, I ended up with the boom set about 8' up the line, with a 6' hook link, 1/0 single hook baited with Rag, resulting in a nice few schoolies.

Headed back to Shotley on the 5th August, arrived late afternoon, so decided to head back up the Stour for an early evening session and try for the Bass again, same tactics as above, still lots of weed and colour, nothing caught, not a bite, although I did spend more time drinking coffee with my feet up enjoying the sun and scenery, maybe a little more effort would have helped :)

Next day, 6th August, early start, locked out of Shotley at 6am, headed straight out to try and locate a wreck near the Roughs Towers, found it straight away but didn't bother fishing it as the water was so coloured, moved to a nice little spot (I thought) about 3 miles from the Towers, stuck it out there for a few hours only managing a small doggy, so decided on one last move to a spot I'd marked up previously, between 2 sand bars, set up a downtider for Bass with Rag on a 1/0 pennel, one other downtider with a 2/0 pennel on squid, 2 uptiders on 2/0 pennels one baited with PC frozen Blacks and the other with Mackerel strip (I was getting desperate :)) after half an hour or so, as the flooding tide got underway, I had a good bite, only a Doggy on the squid baited down tider, but a decent size one and better than nowt, another biteless hour passed and a clonking bite, result a nice Bass, again on the squid, I've never really bothered targetting Bass much until this year so have only ever accidentally caught schoolies up to 1.5lb, compared to those fish, this one was a monster :)

Sat it out biteless for another hour or so, then headed back to the marina for a beer, although I'd caught little, I was happy, a blisteringly hot day with almost no wind and a flat calm sea, lots of other angling boats out, but the radio chatter was poor results all round, lots of weed and colour in the sea.

Apologies for the long post, i'll try and keep it short next time :)

AL ..

·
Fishy Jim
9,137 Posts
At least you caught somthing, just look at this ragworm i got from markhams - (on woodbridge rd, ipswich), very lively to!!

·
Registered
4,430 Posts
Entertaining report shame you didn't get a few more fish.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
well done on the bass Al, shame it was quiet other than that, i dont know what it is this year and the water clarity, the stour seems ok one day and crap another

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.

James, i'll try Markhams next time i need some fresh worm, I had some big rag from Breakaway a couple of months ago, I think there were 9 worms for a 1/4lb, it's nice to get consistent quality though, good one week bad the next isn't a lot of good really.

Marv. Yeah, bit of an odd year, I was wondering how much effect the dredging in the harbour is having on the rivers and to a degree the dumping of the spoil on the closer inshore marks, like the Towers, as well as the other works that are going on in the Towers area, when we were at anchor, we saw the dredger go past, presumably going out for an empty, a while later there were huge clouds of brown silt drifting by.

Anyway, i'm so pleased to be back in Suffolk, I can stick a bit of poor fishing, at least I now have pleasant scenery and if all else fails, I can just sit on the boat in the marina with a can or two, without having raw sewage pumped out up the side of my boat - unlike in the Nene at wisbech :)

AL ..

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
At least you caught somthing, just look at this ragworm i got from markhams - (on woodbridge rd, ipswich), very lively to!!
Afew weeks bck my worms from Markhams were very poor, worms seem to be very inconsistent in quality were ever you buy them. A few weeks back worms were really good from Breakaway, the last lot were rubbish..

My guess is bait diggers can only collect whats there...

·
Registered
475 Posts
well done on the bass, shame about the bait, as a few have said bait can be inconsistent a lot i put down to how the shops look after the bait also, i must say the most consistent and quality bait i get comes from our very own james sh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts