World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well had a bit of holiday due so thougt I'd spend a few days at my nearest beach which I'd hayling island, just over an hours drive for me.
First few days were slow to say the least but it was nice to just chill on the beach.
Finally on the Thursday the high tide was just after 8 pm so my first time fishing into darkness being relatively new to beach fishing. Just as the sun started to drop i had my first bite, which turned out to be a small smooth hound. It was quiet through high tide and for the first hour down. Then came a rattling bite and a slack line which resulted in a 33cm bass, so a pb for me. This rod was cast about 40 yds or so. My other rod was at distance , probably 120 to 130yds. This rod then sprung into life and another baby smooth hound came in. Next cast on that rod produced another bite and this time my first ever dogfish. Not everyone's favourite species by the looks of things but I was well chuffed with this new species. Sadly no pic of the bass as my phone died, so had to wait for it to recharge. Overall happy with my catch.
IMGP1042.JPG
20181004_181450.jpg

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you're travelling an hour to Hayling there are much better locations an extra 20mins away.

Depends which direction you're coming in from

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you're travelling an hour to Hayling there are much better locations an extra 20mins away.

Depends which direction you're coming in from
I'm only new to sea fishing over the last 3 or 4 months. I've fished climping, hayling, hurst shingle bank, Barton, Hordle cliffs and highcliffe beach. So done a few places. Just trying out different areas to see where I feel most comfortable and enjoy it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Only new to sea fishing and you can wing it out 120-130yds?!

Fair play
I've been carp fishing over 20yrs and on some big pits so know how to fish / cast. I just got a bit bored of it, catching big carp doesn't give me the buzz it used to so fancied a change. Beach fishing is giving me that buzz.
Where do you recommend me trying if you don't mind me asking?

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
I've been carp fishing over 20yrs and on some big pits so know how to fish / cast. I just got a bit bored of it, catching big carp doesn't give me the buzz it used to so fancied a change. Beach fishing is giving me that buzz.
Where do you recommend me trying if you don't mind me asking?
Selsey East beach, better than Hayling !

·
Registered
188 Posts
Same as myself, got a bit bored of stocked lakes. After over 10 years of all weather efforts I needed to try something else!

Also have a small family now so there's no way I can head to the lakes for 48hrs!

5hr session between tide times I can get away with :happydance:

Definitely agree with Selsey, and Pagham.

Bognor pier can be a good shout as well sometimes to get past the weed

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same as myself, got a bit bored of stocked lakes. After over 10 years of all weather efforts I needed to try something else!

Also have a small family now so there's no way I can head to the lakes for 48hrs!

5hr session between tide times I can get away with :happydance:

Definitely agree with Selsey, and Pagham.

Bognor pier can be a good shout as well sometimes to get past the weed
Was looking at trying pagham, aldwick, bognor or Felpham soon. Used to go to bognor as a kid so know the area a bit but not as in the fishing. What's parking like at pagham? Obviously aldwick, bognor etc has plenty roadside right next to the beach.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Can be an issue at peak times.

There's a free car park opposite the Kings Head pub and limited parking opposite the amusements.

Don't park in West Front or East Front Road that run parallel to the beach as it is for residents only.

·
Banned
3,789 Posts
Thanks, I'll maybe give it a try. Think I've read or heard it can get really weedy and a strong tidal pull. Is this correct? Is it fish able when like this?
Strong tide and weed not a problem if you use an 7-8oz gripper lead and uptide your cast !! Then do 5-8 minute casts to keep on top of the weed. Not a great scenario if you are after a relaxing session but can definitely yeeald results !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts