World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having seen someone here the other day say that they thought squid was like an inner tube, I decided to cook it again at the weekend, I've been using it for bait and this box hadn't been to the beach yet.

I did this from frozen, by the time you have the prep finished the squid is well defrosted.
Take your squid out of the box and clean and skin it, basically grab behind the head and rip the innards out of the tube, slice behind the eyes and keep the tentacles, discard everything the other side of the eyes. Get your finger into the tube and clean it out properly of bits and pieces and rinse it. Clean the grey skin off the outside of the tube, it should peal off very easily, take off the wings as well while you're at it, they'll peal off easily, these are a bit tougher, but they can be eaten.
When you've finished you should have a white pointed tube.
Slice the tube into rings, if it's the smaller squid then I do a larger ring about 2cm wide rather than thin, if the squid is larger then I don't do the rings quite as thick, maybe 1cm.
Take the rings and toss them in seasoned flour, I seasoned with Salt and pepper and cayenne pepper for a bit of a spicey kick and it also turns the lot a nice reddish colour when cooked.
Get an oven tray and put about 1cm of oil in it and put it in the oven at 240 until it's almost smoking. Take your oven tray out, then put your coated squid rings into the oil and mix about with a wooden spoon until it's all coated in oil.
Put back in the oven for 6-7 minutes or until turning golden brown from the underside.
I served this lot with a mixed salad with my own dressing, and some zatziki and some sweet chili sauce for dipping.
Was fantastic, not a hint of inner tube, I suggest you guys try it out.

·
Registered
7,863 Posts
One workaround if your squid is coming out like inner-tube is to cut it up as suggested above and then place in a flour-sieve. Bring a pan of salty water to the boil and dunk the sievefull of squid in that for just 15 seconds, then use it for whatever you are going to make. This will guarantee no rubberiness!

Cheers - John

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
For 2 people.....starter x6 whole squid
ingredients.........
12 raw prawns
4 cloves garlic
bunch flatleaf parsley
sweet chilli sauce
olive oil
salt/pepper
clean and prepare squids,remove heads.leave aside
leave squid tubes to one side.
heat small pan...add oil
add garlic cloves for 2 mins on low heat
add prawns and finely chopped parsley
add salt/pepper....cook for 2 mins
add 3 table spoons of chilli sauce.
stir pan for further min.......
take pan off heat,and let prawns etc get cool.
Chop prawns etc and stuff squid tubes.
heat george foreman griddle/grill/b,que
and heat through for (1) minute each side...no longer
drizzle with more chilli sauce and olive oil
and serve with cold salad and crusty bread.
Enjoy...........:)

Gaz :) ..........Either that or stick em on a pennel reg and go "Bassin" :g:

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
poach for 3mins in marmite, drizzle birds custard liberally, then wrap in chappati...taste sweeeeeet

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
For 2 people.....starter x6 whole squid
ingredients.........
12 raw prawns
4 cloves garlic
bunch flatleaf parsley
sweet chilli sauce
olive oil
salt/pepper
clean and prepare squids,remove heads.leave aside
leave squid tubes to one side.
heat small pan...add oil
add garlic cloves for 2 mins on low heat
add prawns and finely chopped parsley
add salt/pepper....cook for 2 mins
add 3 table spoons of chilli sauce.
stir pan for further min.......
take pan off heat,and let prawns etc get cool.
Chop prawns etc and stuff squid tubes.
heat george foreman griddle/grill/b,que
and heat through for (1) minute each side...no longer
drizzle with more chilli sauce and olive oil
and serve with cold salad and crusty bread.
Enjoy...........:)

Gaz :) ..........Either that or stick em on a pennel reg and go "Bassin" :g:
Hmm. I caught three squid today for 7lb. Not sure if six of these might be too much for my guests........:)

·
Registered
12,592 Posts
How did you catch the squid ?

Peter
:eek:fftopic:

Just kidding. Float fished jigs, fished near the bottom. Pictures of the jig on my site, click on Diary, and look at the April entires. In there somewhere. Be quick if you want to try, they were gone mid-may last week. I am just about to try yesterdays captures as per the first ecipe. Then I will try the others next week, and see which one was best for me!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts