World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone tell me distinct marks on a Whiting as i keep getting confused with Pouting and Whiting and Pollack. Can someone help me with this? Thanks

Also can anyone recommend any good fishing spots in Cornwall, nr St Austell?

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi princess. go to ask jeeves and put up google find google image and put in the name of any fish you want to see and it will come up pics of everything on there. good luck.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Hi Princess,

Welcome to the forum

Cheers

Drew

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
hi, pouting have a deep body, on the poolock the bopttom lip is bigger than the top, and whiting are the whiting.

i doubt it but i hope this helps,
kelvin

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Hi Princess,

Welcome to the site

Below are pictures of each fish of the fish.

Pollack

Whiting

Pout

Notice have the pout looks different to both, the body is deeper and less slender. The base of of all fins overlap the next , there is also a long chin barbel (which you can't see in the picture). You can tell Whiting and Pollack apart because the upper jaw on the whiting is longer than its lower jaw. Where on the pollack the lower jaw is always longer than its upper jaw.

Small whiting can have a miniature barbel, but the pout has the longer barbel. You can also tell the two apart as the Whiting is a slender bodied fish, where the pout is deeper bodied.

Hope that helps!

Mike Jr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks very much Mike for the pictures i can now clearly see the difference. The fishes look huge well done, This has really helped me, Thanks again

·
One Life - Fish it!
5,009 Posts
Lol Manx!!! I can't see the small print ;) We might enter if its OK with everybody else, but if the paid for charity version goes ahead, we'll chip the money in but not compete, if you vote for either one of us and by some fluke we win...the second placed fish will win etc.

The pout was between 2 - 3lbs can't remember exactly. Think the pollack was 7 or 8lb. Notice you never see any pictures of me with big fish? :D lol

MikeJr

·
Registered
65 Posts
MikeJr said:
Hi Princess,

Welcome to the site

Below are pictures of each fish of the fish.

Pollack

Whiting

Pout

Notice have the pout looks different to both, the body is deeper and less slender. The base of of all fins overlap the next , there is also a long chin barbel (which you can't see in the picture). You can tell Whiting and Pollack apart because the upper jaw on the whiting is longer than its lower jaw. Where on the pollack the lower jaw is always longer than its upper jaw.

Small whiting can have a miniature barbel, but the pout has the longer barbel. You can also tell the two apart as the Whiting is a slender bodied fish, where the pout is deeper bodied.

Hope that helps!

Mike Jr
What bait you use to catch that whiting thats big.

·
Registered
303 Posts
hi mate,
we've been using small mackerel or squid strip for our whiting fished off the bottom whiting are predatory and will hit moving baits very hard.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts