World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just new to fishing, I was wondering what spinning rod someone would recommend that's decent but won't break the bank I wouldn't want to spend over a £100 on it.

I've got this spinning rod https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SZ58W3V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And been finding it way to light and fragile I caught a dog fish and a flattie on it this morning and it was absolutely terrifying as looked like my rod was going to snap.

I'd like something durable and strong, 9-10ft long maybe? I fish from a jetty that points out to sea, fishing with 15lb braided line and a 50lb shock leader generally like to fish with a Dexter wedge, feathers and lures.

Want I mainly want to catch is mackerel and Bass

·
Registered
641 Posts
That rod your using is no way suitable for feathers and a weight, a lure of say 20gm max could be used, no need for the shock leader if your just using a lure as well

·
Registered
692 Posts
Just new to fishing, I was wondering what spinning rod someone would recommend that's decent but won't break the bank I wouldn't want to spend over a £100 on it.

I've got this spinning rod https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07SZ58W3V?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

And been finding it way to light and fragile I caught a dog fish and a flattie on it this morning and it was absolutely terrifying as looked like my rod was going to snap.

I'd like something durable and strong, 9-10ft long maybe? I fish from a jetty that points out to sea, fishing with 15lb braided line and a 50lb shock leader generally like to fish with a Dexter wedge, feathers and lures.

I'm Assuming that you didn't catch the above on a lure! What weight lead are you casting?
Unless you spend a lot on a telescopic rod, they will nearly always be floppy!

·
Registered
240 Posts
I was recommended an okuma epixor for light lure work/freelining and although I haven't used it much I've had some decent mullet on it and it seemed to handle them pretty well. Can pick them up for under £60 at the minute. I have the 9ft 5-25g but they do them at a range of different sizes.

If you like the fish with 40g+ dexter wedges and lures then for a budget rod a nomura kanji might be worth a look at. Can even do some light ledgering working with 2oz weights or use a float with it. I picked one up for £63 and use it for the above and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Like with anything, you get what you pay for. I'm sure for under £100 there are better choices out there but if you're looking for budget rods which perform relatively well imo for the money then these two might be worth a look at.

·
Registered
364 Posts
see if you can pick up a daiwa whisker old rod now but superb for sea fishing use, used them for cod on the boat over rough ground at slack water, failing that a penn powergraph, same action and power (poor man's daiwa ) but really every bit as good

·
The Cheeky Essex Lure Fisher, joined March 2010
5,447 Posts

go on the lure foram they will put u right bazz

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Would this be a suitable.rod for my
Needs

Penn Rampage II Bass 3-Piece Spin Rod - Red/Black Penn Rampage II Bass 3-Piece Spin Rod - Red/Black, 10 ft/1/3oz 28/58g: Amazon.co.uk: Sports & Outdoors

·
Registered
11,134 Posts
This years 2021 Shimano grapplers are beautiful rods to use and good value. They have gone from the traditional style to the skinnier lighter style of some of the high priced manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
that Penn rod looks alright mate yeah and will handle bass n mackeral easily
did you catch the doggie on a dexter wedge too ? amazing ! must of landed right in front of it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts