World Sea Fishing Forums banner

Recommendations for solar battery charger

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Steveh24 
#1 ·
As per the title. Looking for a trickle charger to keep the battery in condition. 12v 105Ah battery. the bilge pump is permanently live.

Looking for something to fit on top of the cuddy with a decent amount of cable, a charge controller and battery connections - not croc clips?

Suggestions? Thanks

#3 ·
You will to most likely either be spending a ton onto getting all onto your list, or to be saving yourself some pennies and to do less than 1 hrs work including to crimp on ring terminals so you can to connect it to presumably, the already existing battery connections.

If to not have existing battery connections you will to have to buy some of those also.

You do to not say how long between uses your baot does to go? Hours/days/weeks?

Does your battery to be the main engine battery or a seperate bilge battery or a house, or onto a combo?
Do you to recharge the battery to full when out fishing, by the charge coil/alternator onto the engine, or will the trickle charger to be tasked to refill the battery each time?

#4 ·
You will to most likely either be spending a ton onto getting all onto your list, or to be saving yourself some pennies and to do less than 1 hrs work including to crimp on ring terminals so you can to connect it to presumably, the already existing battery connections.

If to not have existing battery connections you will to have to buy some of those also.

You do to not say how long between uses your baot does to go? Hours/days/weeks?

Does your battery to be the main engine battery or a seperate bilge battery or a house, or onto a combo?
Do you to recharge the battery to full when out fishing, by the charge coil/alternator onto the engine, or will the trickle charger to be tasked to refill the battery each time?
1 battery - is charged when the engine is running (if the Yamaha engine instrument is to be believed 14.4v) - Usage is as-hoc - probably once every 10 days ish - as I say bilge is live off the battery - am capable of making up clips / connections

#6 ·
Hi I recently put a solar charge controller and bigger solar panal on my boat. I had a 10w panal but it wasnt giving anywhere near enough power to charge the battery(House) while i wasnt on the boat. coming to the boat after a couple of weeks to find 11.5v:(. I upgraded by adding not replacing with a 50w panal. now after a couple of weeks the battery is sitting at 13.2v:).
These are what i used. very easy to install. The hardest thing was working out what to power with the excess power to prevent over charging!

#7 ·
I was also looking for a solar panel solution for my boat and after much searching I eventually settled on this, the company were very helpful and the kit came with everything needed to install the panel and both the company and the product have a good rating

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.