World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Does anybody have any recommendations for a beginners guide to sea fishing book? I spotted these on Amazon and was wondering as to what opinions were?

1. 'Sea Fishing from the Shore' by A.R.Harris Cass

or

2. 'Sea Fishing for Amateurs - A Practical book on Fishing from Shore, Rocks or Piers' by Frank Hudson

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks
Rowie

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The Waterproof Book of Fishing Knots
If my head's underwater mate, the last thing I'll be thinking about is a Bimini Twist

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi there, i've found the following really useful starting from scratch...

sea fishing properly explained (bit seventies but i still use it),

The Sea Angler's guide to bait and rigs,

waterproof book of fishing knots, (sometimes have to wait for availability)

the concise encylopedia of coarse, sea and fly fishing is a really nice book i receved as a gift.

I have to say i've also found Total Sea Fishing Magazine really helpful - but you can't beat your local tackle dealers for year round info and support! ;-)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Books you mention were originally published in the 1940's i think but based on the fact that sound knowledge is timeless and we are lets face it constantly re-inventing the wheel they have been re-published - I'd avoid'em for now if I were you.

I would recommend (as above) Sea fishing properly explained (cheap and lots of good all round info). Sea Dangler's bait and rigs is ok but mostly a collection of their mag articles - so if you semi-regularly get the mag or total sea fishering then no need for the book as they churn out "how to tie a shockleader" and "build a three hook flapper" every few months or so anyway.

If you are interested in all types of fishing, Tony Whieldon's book "complete guide to fishing skills" is fantastic and there is a new edition out soon (available from Amazon) reads like a comic book but the pictures actually pack in a hell of a lot of info and i re-read it again and again to spot new things!

Other than that troll your local ASDA / Morrisons / Bargain Books wherever and check their book sections, I have picked up some great "encyclopedia" of fishing type collections for under £3 (again most are based on collections of old mag articles)

Lastly if you have any specifc questions - ask the forum!
and if you can join a club or have a friendly chat with other anglers - you can pick up all sorts of good info too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Woweee, thanks for all the useful replies fisherfolks :) Will deffo check out some of those recommendations - tip top!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts