World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Caught the most interesting fish I've had so far this year, earlier on today.

I was fishing the deep end of Seaford Beach, at about 30 mins after high tide, there was quite a swell going and a bit of weed about. Fishing about 40yds out.
Was using a 2 hook, clipped Pennel, baited with fresh Black Lug.

I was just reeling in to check my bait and felt a bit of a thump about half way in, but assumed it was just some weed, however as it got into the surf it started fighting a little, but it was too close in by this time and the next wave brought the beautiful Red Gurnard up at my feet.

The hook was set pretty nastily deep inside but the fish seemed in good condition so after some careful working but to no avail we snipped the barb off the hook to be able to pull it cleanly through and set it free.

It had taken a good few minutes to get the hook out and I didn't intend on keeping the fish so made a bit of a bad call by not taking a pic before releasing.

After doing a bit of research when I got home I wish I had weighed it as I reckon it wasn't far off 1lb, and I certainly should have taken some more pictures.
It was a beautiful deep red with a gorgeous marble effect as you got further back on the body.

Has anyone else got any of these beauties off Seaford or the surrounding area? this is the first one I've seen in my 13 years of fishing the beach here. It also attracted the attention of a few other locals as I brought it in and were de-hooking.

Alex

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
There are loads of gurnards in the bay this time of year but you don't catch so many from the beach.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Different area I know. But I`ve Had a few of these gorgeous fish from chesil lately. Only small I know however stunning colours.

·
Registered
137 Posts
How do you tell the difference? I`m comparing it to the ones I`ve seen on web sites. The photo does`nt do the colours justice.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Out the back of town rock is a good place to catch them,drifting baited feathers,you might come across some bream as well if you are lucky.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I had a tub gurnard from Seaford a couple of weeks ago which took a bass lure!
I was pretty shocked as the spinner was about 3 inches long and the fish was about 5 inches long and well hooked in the mouth :blink:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts