World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
BY putting oil in a ceramic bearing you are slowing it down
but if you are casting into water try torny rocket fuel its a lot lighter
if you are just using over grass try them dry which will be there fastest ..

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Dave dry ceramics are ok if you can control the spool without oil ,ie blocks or mags but we don,t know which 6500 rob is using and how its set up ,so what reel are you using Rob?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
all ABU 6500 have blocks or mags
if you want the fastest reel dry ceramics is the way to go but you must
have a slow start up speed
which can be sortted by mags or oil.
a mag is the most user frendly as oil has to be just right and oil thickness
goes up and down with the heat of the day.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Dave ,i know that all 6500,s have blocks or oil i was saying that dry ceramics won,t really work without mags ,unless you used end tension on a non u/c spool,thats why before suggesting dry ceramics we need to know which reel rob has if it hasn,t got mags we won,t want dry ceramics

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
ABU mag elite will cast a very long way in its standard form running on its steel bearings lubed with oil,depending on how many magnets you use and what oil you put in the bearings the reel can be made to run uncontrollably fast ,so no reel gain in making it run faster still......................................unless you are looking to gain those crucial last few yards in a competition,where dry ceramic bearings and a different mag conrol setup will give the ultimate distance as DaveH has shown on the field many times.However if you are not upto the same standard as Dave a slower reel can cast a lot further than a faster reel in that it gives you the confidence to really whack the rod knowing the reel is not going to explode the second the lead is released,there have been some massive casts made in the past with reels that run really slow

·
Registered
424 Posts
Yellow Rocket Fuel is considered standard for this type of reel (tournament casting aside). I don't see any point in fitting ceramic bearings to give increased speed (which will only be slight, by the way) and then slowing them down by using Red Rocket Fuel. Why not stick with the standard bearings and try the yellow stuff?

Cheers,

John

P.S. I've just found an excellent site containing tutotials on reel bearings. Check out their 101, 201 and 301 classes - by the time you get through the lot you'll be an expert:

http://www.tackletour.com/menumaintenance.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts