World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i drawn sheet no. 13 and was on the left hand side, must have been unlucky for me as i blanked, had some realy good bites, but could'nt get into them, i had a plastic baitfeeder attached to the lead and it was crushed with teeth marks at either side, it run me up and down the pier but then let go, see if i can get a pic of it, wonder if it was a conger, never mind was an enjoyable night, heres a few pics of the evening.

·
She Pirate and Global Moderator
12,629 Posts
Nice one timber........ looks like you had a good turn out,,, well done,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I got drawn on the Little Orme side of the pier, which was what I wanted.

Walked up and fished the area between the cafe and kiosk facing back towards Llandudno. Plan was to scratch out mini-Species, as I figured the match would be won with 6-8 Species. For this I was using my trusty 2-up 1-down boomed scratching rig with a variety of baits. I decided my plugging rod was the way to go for this.

Started fishing at 18:30, and within 10 mins landed a very small dab on lug by letting my lead trot under the pier, this was followed about 20 mins later by a Poor Cod.

Excellent I thought, 2 species in 30 min, no sign of the pollack or coalies yet and I'm bound to get a dog, whiting and codling. I'm in with a chance here.

However, it wasn't to be. In the next 2 1/2 hrs I managed to weed 1 more Poor Cod out. Along with 2 crabs and 2 dropped fish (the disadvantages of using small hooks on a long winch up!)

In hindsight I think that with the strong wind blowing in I should of got my beachcaster out and gone for the dogs etc as soon as it got dark, but its all part of the learning curve! I believe the match was won with 3 species in the end, so I wasn't the only one underperforming!

Match finished at 21:30, and I was home,bathed,shaved and in a pub by 22:30.

All in all a good night

·
King of Kings
16,043 Posts
I got drawn on the Little Orme side of the pier, which was what I wanted.

Walked up and fished the area between the cafe and kiosk facing back towards Llandudno. Plan was to scratch out mini-Species, as I figured the match would be won with 6-8 Species. For this I was using my trusty 2-up 1-down boomed scratching rig with a variety of baits. I decided my plugging rod was the way to go for this.

Started fishing at 18:30, and within 10 mins landed a very small dab on lug by letting my lead trot under the pier, this was followed about 20 mins later by a Poor Cod.

Excellent I thought, 2 species in 30 min, no sign of the pollack or coalies yet and I'm bound to get a dog, whiting and codling. I'm in with a chance here.

However, it wasn't to be. In the next 2 1/2 hrs I managed to weed 1 more Poor Cod out. Along with 2 crabs and 2 dropped fish (the disadvantages of using small hooks on a long winch up!)

In hindsight I think that with the strong wind blowing in I should of got my beachcaster out and gone for the dogs etc as soon as it got dark, but its all part of the learning curve! I believe the match was won with 3 species in the end, so I wasn't the only one underperforming!

Match finished at 21:30, and I was home,bathed,shaved and in a pub by 22:30.

All in all a good night
u did ok and sounds like good time,what no whiting about?shaggy

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Well organised! Looked like a good meet and had FOOD! Didn't know about this!

Regarding the 'bitemarks' on the feeder. I've done/do the same with a baitfeeder and had the same results! Originally I was tying 'sausages' of ground bait to the lead and having 'missed' bites until, once in ChrisP's boat, I pulled up a Doggy with it's teeth stuck in the 'tube-o-gauze' sausage (as well as another on the hook. I remember that day Tozer had two - one on each of his Pennel hooks! The Cartilagenous fish have the best scent glands going so will 'hunt down' the source of oils etc. that are being presented. Similarly I also tried sticking compressed cotton wool soaked in 'additives' on the top pennel hook - small Mustad Crab hooks, under a float. Had masses of bites and the hooks came back with bait removed and lots of 'wispy' threads pulled out of the cotton wool! That was in the Swellies and I rekon they were small, 'toothy', wrasse but could easily have been very small Doggies!

·
England Team Captain
30,607 Posts
Nice report there Blakey, always good to see a get together well attended.
One small point though mate..... Only two red-noses on show !!!:g:
One belonging to a freezing cold mite and the other to Ray, though I doubt that's been caused by the :cold:........ :lmao: :lmao:

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice report there Blakey, always good to see a get together well attended.
One small point though mate..... Only two red-noses on show !!!:g:
One belonging to a freezing cold mite and the other to Ray, though I doubt that's been caused by the :cold:........ :lmao: :lmao:
is this better

1 - 9 of 9 Posts