World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Earlier this year I treat my self to a new beach caster, the rod came with a 'Reducer' (funny thing to call them seen as how they make the rod about 20" longer when plugged in)
Just wondering what is the design function of the reducer, is it simply to make the rod longer and hopfully allow you to produce a longer cast, or is there more to it than that? Are the rods designed to cast with a reducer plugged in (just thinking it will move the stress points lower down the rod?) I have tried it when fishing off the beach, I don't think I was casting any further, but the rod seems a lot heavier when retrieving, as more rod is forward of you.
One thing the rod has shown me, is that I now need to learn to cast properly, its not as forgiving as a whippy £20 cheapo beach rod..

Regards Austin..

·
Registered
235 Posts
hi thre i think the idea of the reducer is so u can have your reel further down the blank when casting i may be wrong but there will be some fine person put you right {poach ,swelly ect LOL]

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Just an old loud mouth here, taking the bait!

As I understand it the 'reducer' allows you to have the reel in a better (further up the rod) position for reeling in. The 'low' position for your reel, it seems, allows more rod to be 'used' for casting. Most REAL experts consider that it's all in the technique anyway.

I've also just realised that it would allow me, a right-handed person - (although all thumbs), to have my 'strong' hand up the rod to deliver a strong push, with the 'weaker' left hand controling the reel. I'm actually in the process of taping another reel seat to the bottom (almost) of the rod to just give it a try. (Desperate for some extra distance see, because my technique is so pathetic!) Presumably i'll find reeling in uncomfortable? (IDEA!) What I'll do is shift the reel to the upper seat once i've cast out!! Bet that's when I'll get THE bite! I suppose a moveable seat would be best. It would be like a Yo-yo on the butt!!

I asked Paul Kerry about it at the NEC and he always uses the reel UP position, as do many, more than competant, anglers. However, MOST (if not all - please correct!) of the Tournament Guys use reel down.

Reading John Holden, THE casting Guru, he talks of 12' rods being more efficient than 13' anyway! As my wife always says, "length isn't everything dear"

·
Registered
235 Posts
so i was nearly right . i new u could,nt resist the bait swelly LOL at least ive caught somthing cheers

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
for tourney casting reel down is the most common option.

for most fishing situations reel up is more common.

the reducer is for reeling in when the reel is in the low position.

i would have thought the constant moving of an adjustable reel seat would wear out either the blank or the seat in time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the late response, just been one of them weeks.

Thanks for the info, I've never tried casting with the reel low, I can't decide exactly how you place your right hand for reel low casting, it seems your either going to have the line whipping across your thumb or the back of your hand when you cast, and I've cut my self on the line before now. Also prob best if I get my 6500 sports mag repaired first, I can envisage a few birds nests while trying to learn left thumb spool controll :eek:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts