World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would it affect the rod much by having a bit cut off the butt.i like rods of 13-6 or less ,ive bought a m427 hi-flex thats more the 14 ft.like the rod and dont intend to sell it so was thinking of reducing it down a bit.i fish with the reel down the but (about 8 inches up).if i cut 8 to 10 inch of would the action of the rod stay the same.ive got a hst and thats the sort of length id be looking at
peter

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
dont use a reducer.would it be a case of just using a hachsaw to cut through it, lol
a small circular grinder dremmel attachment thingy would give you a cleaner cut, i reckon. chance of splintering the carbon with a hacksaw, slight chance maybe, but a chance nonetheless

·
Registered
13,267 Posts
9 inch chop saw with a fine blade :doh:.

A few inches off the butt will affect nothing at all (except the length) :roll1:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
would it affect the rod much by having a bit cut off the butt.i like rods of 13-6 or less ,ive bought a m427 hi-flex thats more the 14 ft.like the rod and dont intend to sell it so was thinking of reducing it down a bit.i fish with the reel down the but (about 8 inches up).if i cut 8 to 10 inch of would the action of the rod stay the same.ive got a hst and thats the sort of length id be looking at
peter

If you cut 8-10" off the butt, and then place the reel 8" up, the rod characteristics will change. It will feel stiffer.

·
Registered
8,803 Posts
Move the reel up the amount you plan to chop off and try the rod. You will probably find that the action of the rod will be stiffer.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
Yep will definitely affect the rod, it will most likely feel noticably stiffer and the action will be a bit faster. Oh and you will also struggle to move the rod on if you decide you don't want it anymore; most people looking for a high end rod would be very wary indeed of buying something that had been chopped down.

You'd probably be better off trying to swap for an M4 Evo or maybe a Bullet Hi-Flex if you prefer the through action but want a shorter rod.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
lopped 10 inches off both my century komp s angle grinder and then removed the bands off the cut off sections and arildited them back to the shortend butts
at 13.10ft just felt to long and slow on the cast now there both 13ft there great (for me anyway glad i did it)

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
gona leave it as it is,been on field for a hour and think im casting further than with other rods ive got,need to take it fishing now
peter

1 - 13 of 13 Posts