World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

only second post so be gentle! i know this topic has been covered a fair bit but would like opinions please.

ok i have been thinking about getting a newer reel, at the mo i have an old diawa fixed spool, that is teamed up with an old moonraker about 8 yrs old . i dont go fishing that much as i am now in a land locked country and only really go for a month in the summer when i am back in the UK.

i have been thinking of getting a multiplier looking at an abu 6500 but i have got confused with all the models available - i would prefer one with a level wind but have heard it affects the casting range - how much does it affect the range?????

OR i have thought about getting a large fixed spool but dont have a clue whats out there.

i normally go rock fishing as u dont have to cast too far and i do catch something nearly all time.

i would like something that is easily capable of handling the rough stuff but is also at home on the beach where distance casting can be an issue.

so i would appreciate any suggestions or ideas that you may have.

many thanks

rob.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I use fixed spools , starting to use multipliers.

For fixed spool I use a shimano aerlex, I find its good for rough ground, about 60 quid.

Diawa emcast are about same price.

Shimano biomaster is another good make.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They reckon a level wind can cut about 10 or 20 % off your best cast but they also get in the way of leader knots and have a knack of self destructing as you cast, very few shore anglers will use them. It doesn't take long to get used to laying the line on with your thumb. I don't even have level winds on my boat reels now.

I use multipliers but unless you are prepared to work at them, so you can control them, they can be a pain. Don't waste your time buying cheap ones. You can get away with a cheap fixed spool but not cheap multipliers.

Decent mulipliers start from about £70 for the Penn 525GS and they have good brakes that actually work. I would really only recomend Penn, Diawa, ABU's or Shimano reels for casting work. If you buy a cheap one you will spend ages sorting out birds nests and snap offs and end up wishing you hadn't bothered.

Unless you really need a multiplier why not stick with fixed spools.

If you want to go rock fishing the reel to go for is the Diawa SLOSH 30 because you can load it up with 30lb line but they are still a good casting reel with lighter line. If I could only have one reel this would be it.

Bob

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
good point there, thanks,

now i have had a good think about it, i will stick with the fixed spool. saw the abu 170 , big capacity and price is ok also, saw a nice shimano one but the price was :eek:

when i am back i will go to the shop and have a look whats there but in the meantime any recommendations???

EDIT: been looking at the diawa jupiter z6000 - anyone used one?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts