World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologise if this has been covered but I have searched the forum several times and found so many different answers but nothing that answers this question but it might just be personal choice.

I have never used braid and from what I have read the Diawa J Braid seems to be highly recommended and this is what I am considering buying but given that I have never used braid, my head is all over the place with questions, 4 strand, or 8 strand, how much is required, can I put it on the reel without backing. You will read later on what reel I am thinking about but I was looking at getting the Diawa J Braid X4 (135m: 0.07mm) which is £8.99 from Glasgow Angling Store.

I am also looking at a new reel to use with my HTO Rock Rover as up to now I have been using my Shimano Hyperloop 2500, but I am not looking at buying a new reel and going through the ‘sticky’ about reels, it would appear that the Diawa Ninja is a firm favourite and I was looking at buying the 1000 size, but don’t know if this would be too small or do I go for something slightly larger. There are several sizes in stock in Glasgow Angling Centre where I can go and pick it up along with the braid should I decide to buy both, either or not buy any.

My head hurts and I apologise for all the questions but I thought I would ask here before spending my money. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Dougy

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
If you only intend to use braid the 1000 size will be fine. I use a 2500 caldia as I also want mono and that little size increase makes a big difference with line twist.

I use the Jbraid in 9lb for my LRF with a 4lb fluro leader. Casts well. I always use a bit of backing with braid. Helps reduce cost of braid and removes any chance of braid slipping on spool.

Reactions: Wheely reels
D

·
0 Posts
J Braid and a Ninja is a sound choice :)

Size is down to preference really but like @piker20 says, if you want to use a flouro mainline it would pay to go 2000 or 2500 size or you'll get issues with line memory or coiling.

8 strand braids are generally a preferred choice for LRF but you'll be alright with 4 strand I'm sure :)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for the replies, I might go for the 2500 as this is what I already have and just use flouro backing. The whole braid thing is is new to me as I have always been too tight to buy it but sometimes I just have to open my wallet, ha ha.
I will keep you posted as might go tomorrow seeing I am off work

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Thanks guys for the replies, I might go for the 2500 as this is what I already have and just use flouro backing. The whole braid thing is is new to me as I have always been too tight to buy it but sometimes I just have to open my wallet, ha ha.
I will keep you posted as might go tomorrow seeing I am off work
I wouldn't purposely use fluro backing under the braid. I use cheap line. You're still going to be loading 50-100m braid on top so the quality doesn't matter. I use the fluro for a short leader between braid and lure.

·
Registered
16,830 Posts
Hi Dougy great to hear from you I'm missed your posts/comments and I mean that. Dougy Braid & mono are two completely different products and both have their place however whsen it comes to lure fishing there's no alternative to braid. X4 strand braid is all you'll need m8 however if you fancy a better quality then 8 strand is best. As for reels yes your right the Ninja is the flavour of the month and actually if you look further back the forums then possibly I was the first guy to introduce it. Dougy it's not the be all and end all of reels it's ok. There's a guy on here Devonrich who swears by the shimano catana which is half the price of the Ninja which shows you don't have to break the bank however 9 times out of 10 you get what you pay for. Sorry to rant on but I'm p1ssed lol. Great to see your back

·
The Ultra light Always doing it in style
4,945 Posts
Use a 3lb-4lbbacking in mono as it will give you a smoother bed to lay your braid onto where as 8lb will leave more pronounced ridges especially if the reel doesn't have the best line lay.

·
Registered
806 Posts
When we were kids me and my twin brother used to pinch wool or thread from my mum's sewing basket as backing for our Mitchell reels. A big spool of sewing thread would probably be ideal for use with modern braid (we would have been on Bayer Perlon 2.6lb or maybe Maxima if we had extra pocket money one week)

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi folks, thanks for the replies, all very helpful. I ended up buying the Ninja 2500 and the J Braid X4 135M of 0.10mm 3.8Kg (9lbs).
When I bought my Hyperloop reel, there was a 150 mt spool of 4.8Kg 0.22mm in with that, so I was going to put that on as backing, but if anyone can suggest or recommend that I don't I am happy to hear what you have to say. I was going to spool it up today/ tonight but I will hang fire just in case someone suggests otherwise. As I am sure we woudl all agree, everyday is a school day, so this is a steep learning curve for me so all info, suggestions and comments welcomed.
Cheers
Dougy

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Hi folks, thanks for the replies, all very helpful. I ended up buying the Ninja 2500 and the J Braid X4 135M of 0.10mm 3.8Kg (9lbs).
When I bought my Hyperloop reel, there was a 150 mt spool of 4.8Kg 0.22mm in with that, so I was going to put that on as backing, but if anyone can suggest or recommend that I don't I am happy to hear what you have to say. I was going to spool it up today/ tonight but I will hang fire just in case someone suggests otherwise. As I am sure we woudl all agree, everyday is a school day, so this is a steep learning curve for me so all info, suggestions and comments welcomed.
Cheers
Dougy
I use 12lb sensor as backing. That line you have will be fine.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How much flouro would you use as a leader?
When I have been using mono, I have been using about 6ft of flouro but I am wondering what others use.
As ususal, any help gratefully appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
When I have been using mono, I have been using about 6ft of flouro but I am wondering what others use.
I start with about 6ft usually mate, maybe more when fishing really rough ground.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
Possibly worth asking this in a new thread as some folk may not look in to an older thread twice.
For what its worth I use from 6ft down to 1ft. Depends on where the rocks are.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ideal guys. I will stick wth my 6ft as this has been good in the past. I generally don't fish rocky marks due to access for the chair, so generally piers and the like so I am sure 6ft would be fine as it has been in the past.
Thanks again for the comments, all very much appreciated

1 - 20 of 28 Posts