World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, looking for a bit of advice I recently acquired a unused Penn Iternational V IGFA 12lb rod [ full roller model] and I plan on making it my go to rod for the odd chance i am out looking for bigger fish i also plan on using it in the med for tuna, dorado , grouper etc when out visiting my parents in Spain, just asking for a bit of advice as to if it is up to the job and what is a good reel match for it, budget is not really an issue, i have been looking at the Avet HXJ Raptor but dont know if it might be a bit beefy for the rod, any advice will be greatly appreciated as i have not been out Sea fishing for close to a decade, more accustomed to being chest high in the Clyde chasing Trout and Grayling but a change in circumstances has opened up a huge amount of time thus allowing me to get out and get back to fishing, As I got the rod for free please dont hold any punches and if it not a good rod i would rather know now before putting more money into getting a reel on it, thanks

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Think it's a six of one and half dozen of the other?
Rollers would be dacron/mono but for life of me can't see why/what etc on a 12lb class! bit like putting earthmover tyres on a mini metro bit unwieldy but americans are strange people.
12lb's around uptider or less stance i'd say
but they some mahoooosive 12lb class penn reels but they use 12lb line a mile long on reel and play fish for weeks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am no expert but compared to my Shimano 20-30lb rod i would say the International IGFA 12 is a stronger bit of kit it feels like there is some serious power in it, the tip feels a little delicate but i think that will play in my favour as i wont be targeting massive skate on a regular basis, just really looking for any suggestions as to a good reel match something strong enough to deal with fish in the 5kg to 30kg range. the rollers are a bit extreme in my opinion too but hey its a quality bit of kit and more importantly free lol, i dont really need the huge line capacity of the international reels so thats why i was thinking the Avet HXJ but any thoughts and opinions would be helpfull

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Sounds like a trolling rod and I am sure someone will be along to give you advice on what reel suits the rod.

Seems a strange question though - you are building your fishing plans around a rod rather than the fish and circumstances!

Usually the question would be based around species, season and location - then work out how to fish for the species and what tackle to acquire.

My advice - forget the rod and start a plan from the basics!

There is some tuna fishing now done with spinning outfits and topwater plugs - now that sounds like fun!

Spinning outfits of various strengths now seem almost universal in their applications and can be used for bass, grouper, tuna etc, etc

Take a look on Youtube for fishing in the area you are planning on fishing, you may be amazed at the species and techniques that are now in fashion. My opinion, trolling is so....last Century!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks , i am pretty covered on most bases for my fishing kit as i am mainly fishing cod,pollock hake,etc on mainly light gear on the west coast, it just i was gifted this rod and it has a very different feel to my other rods ,your right it is a trolling rod but alot of the charters i have been on in the med troll for a while then drift for a bit on a wreck site then troll back in, usually just use the boats rods for this but thought this might be able to do both jobs being fairly light in comparison to the broom handles they have on board, so just looking for any advice its just hard to find info on the International 12lb

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I had a Penn International 12lt which was a lovely reel for its 12lb class rating - but struggled if the drag was pushed to suit 20lb class.

So it was great for free running mid-weight fish but did not suit cranking heavy species from wrecks in deep water. That seems to be the problem with many lever drag reels, they are very specific to line ratings and generally have a vast line capacity - which in turn makes them quite heavy.

It comes back to species and techniques. If you expect the fish to run off hundreds of yards of line a standard trolling reel is required for its capacity.

What type of rollers has the rod got? If they are suitable for super-braid lines you have options of braid backing to a mono top-shot. That would allow the use of a smaller reel more in balance with the rod.

The older style trolling rods usually had rollers that would not suit modern braids as the line is so fine it drops between frame and roller.

Sorry, not much help - ending up with more questions than answers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know they are AFTCO but i am pretty sure the braid could go down the edges or splice on the edges, i will probably run mono to be on the safe side, but i just cant face a brick of a reel carrying 1000yds of line lol, i am looking at things like the penns, avets, accurates, etc just something that balances the rod well can deal with a multitude of fishing conditions has the power to land the occasional big fish, just a good holiday setup for light trolling bit of wreck work nothing to deep mind you a few hundred feet absolute max, it was more a question to see what other people have used on this rod or suggest using as it is out my comfort zone and i was thinking i might put it on ebay soon and i will stick to rental gear if its no good for the job, in my past years fishing in spain its been tuna, dorado, grouper , sword nothing huge and a , and a riff raff of other fish none of which were targeted and none of which would cause a bend in the rods on the charters as they were all 50 -80lb rods with penn 6/0 reels as a norm , i just always found them to be to much kit for the fish in most cases.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts