World Sea Fishing Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys I would like to ask you all a question and hopefully get some advice.

I am making the transition from Fixed spool to multi set up. I have just bought 2 salt mx's, so thats the rods sorted.

Now to find some reels. I probably only have a budget of about £70 at the moment so obviously its got to be 2nd hand.

Now for my question, would I be better off buying 2 x Slosh30's for about that money or buying 1 of something else, 6500 mag elite for example and then saving up for a second?

Please bear in mind I am new to casting a multi so want something that is fairly easy to use, which is why thought about the slosh as I have read that its usable "out the box", but I understand the abu's are more customisable and could be tamed until I get more proficient and allow me to "grow" into them.

Most of my fishing is over cleanish ground, heaviest amount of work would be weed at Selsey.

You thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I'm a big Abu fan so can recommend the 6500 mag elite for ease of use especially for a newbie to multipliers.When you're starting out, just have the mag brake full on and you can't really go wrong.It's instantly adjustable and far more convenient than brake blocks.I still adjust my brake even though I'm quite proficient with it. It's very handy when casting into a strong headwind especially with the lighter 3oz leads that you might use when surf bassing for instance.
I regularly run five different Abus for both boat , beach and saltwater spin-all of them bought second hand. I give them a proper flush under fresh water and slacken the drag after EVERY trip,occasionally put a drop of oil in the bearings, a full strip down once a year(easy peasy) and have never had any trouble with them.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
my choice would be the penn 525 mag slidey these will fish rough & clean ground are bomb proof well nearly have the mags on 8 & there idiot proof :fishing1:

·
Registered
553 Posts
I dont know much mate but I would look into a pair of standard 7ht's.
Very easy to control and use. I started off with them and still have one for a backup reel.
Cheers,
Rob.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'll second the 7ht's, perfect for clean ground and easy to use straight out the box. The slosh's can require a bit of taming, wouldn't recommend them as a first multiplier.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
7HT - any type - very good reels.
6500 mags are good, or new 6500 (centrifugal brake only) for £65 new.
Okuma 20 magnetix is £60 new, I rate them.

If you've a budget of £70 for two reels, I'd just buy one and use your old FS reel on the 2nd rod until you've saved enough. Unless you're lucky, if you get 2 reels for that price they're likely to be binnable.

Unfortunately, with multipliers the more expensive reels are better for learning because easier to cast.

·
Back from Exile
6,730 Posts
As it hasn't been mentioned yet - forget about the SLOSH 30s. They are massive reels, way too big for clean beach work though ideal for rough ground with 35lb line straight through.

Been said above but with multipliers you get what you pay for. I'd go for the standard black 7HT, lovely reel, easy to tame, you should pick a decent one up for £50 or so. Carry on with your F/S on the other rod until you can afford another one.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Good point, a bigger reel won't cast so far and be harder to get the hang of....if you fish clean beaches a 6500 sized reel with 15lb/0.35mm line is best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts