World Sea Fishing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reason I ask is that after 2 of us doing a bit of an experiment, we could see no advantage of reel-down.

Distances were no better with the reel down, they were like for like give or take a few yards either way on each cast.

So, it leaves me the question of why have the reel down, a position I find a disadvantage when fishing?

Perhaps I am missing something.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi Medway, i am by no means an expert but the main reason I have been told for reel down is that when you cast you have the extra weight of the reel at the bottom of the rod allowing you to push the rod harder with your top hand, also you do not need to use your pushing hand to hold the spool.
After using a multi in the up position all my life, I too find it very awkward to cast reel down. Like throwing a ball with your left hand, LOL. (assuming you are right handed)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
i get some extra distance maybe 20-30 yards or so, but i dont really see how it compresses the rod more, because your right hand is basically in the same place but with out the grip lock or coasters, so i dont see how it makes the rod bend anymore???
ive emptied my spool on the 525 with 18lb line twice, reel up and the other time it was down.... but i hold my hand up... i was casting with the wind so that prob helped a good bit lol

the problem with casting out far is you need to wind it all the way back in... not easy with a big fish on the end... anything up too 150 yards is more than enough in my opinion

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Harry, you are coming from the same place as me.

I cant see how I can "hit" the cast harder just because I have my thumb on the spool.

Perhaps if I had small hands it may be so but I have plenty of rod in my hand when casting reel-up.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Harry, you are coming from the same place as me.

I cant see how I can "hit" the cast harder just because I have my thumb on the spool.

Perhaps if I had small hands it may be so but I have plenty of rod in my hand when casting reel-up.
its each to their own mate there isnt any hard and fast rules,use which ever is the most comfortable position suits you

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
the problem with casting out far is you need to wind it all the way back in... not easy with a big fish on the end... anything up too 150 yards is more than enough in my opinion

I agree - 150 yards whilst fishing is a great cast. On a tournament field you will be at least 100 yards behind the others though.

High reel vs low reel is much to do with being comfortable, and also to do with the length of rod you use. Try high reel casting a 14ft+ stiff rod :schmoll:

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
100 yards down on the rest? Really?

Blimey that is a huge difference, absolutely huge.

So basically the physics with casting rods mean you need to give absolutely everything with the right hand?

It really does interest me, would love to come to a sportscast and see the guys in action but alas I work sundays.

Any kent lads know a casting instructor in/around medway?

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
100 yards down on the rest? Really?

Blimey that is a huge difference, absolutely huge.

So basically the physics with casting rods mean you need to give absolutely everything with the right hand?

It really does interest me, would love to come to a sportscast and see the guys in action but alas I work sundays.

Any kent lads know a casting instructor in/around medway?
John French. Top instructor. If you can't make it on sundays how about a couple of hours on a wednesday evening 530pm ish??

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wednesdays are usually ace for me, I know it is something my dad is interested in doing also.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Best thing then would be to get John French's number from kent sportcast website and give him a shout then?

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
Think I've read somewhere that casting reel down seems to "soften" the rods action & that it's more suited to longer rods than say your standard 12'6incher..?

My experience is that the rod does feel "easier" if that's the right term? in the low reel mode, & if I really wanted to launch one I 'd go reel down.

Winding in is another matter, pain in the harse with the reel down!
Extensions/reducers are never long enough to make reeling in comfortable for me & just dont like the hassle of them.

So for me, most of the time I'll go reel up for fishing.
Just casting.. probably reel down...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
as long as you can put power into it and also smoothness you should be fine...

i can pendulam with the reel down, soon as i try a normal overhead thump tho..... i get the biggest birdie ever :1a:

just practice on making the cast as smooth as possible mate

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hi Medway, all I would say is that on the tournament field almost every caster has the reel down, also look at where most of the top match anglers have it which is down. I find that having it down seems to balance the rod better, I would also suggest with the reel down it makes the butt slightly softer. When giving lessons and the caster is advanced enough I will always advocate trying the reel down the butt and invariably after several casts the caster finds that he prefers it down

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Hi Medway, all I would say is that on the tournament field almost every caster has the reel down, also look at where most of the top match anglers have it which is down. I find that having it down seems to balance the rod better, I would also suggest with the reel down it makes the butt slightly softer. When giving lessons and the caster is advanced enough I will always advocate trying the reel down the butt and invariably after several casts the caster finds that he prefers it down

Wise words Mr French

·
Registered
864 Posts
i moved the reel down the butt when fishing in 1980 , due to buying a pateke morton sc6 which by todays standards was mega heavy, a local angler called jim dobie who fished for england fished this way and his cast seemed so smooth and lazy.
now 29 yrs on , it actually feels weird and cumbersome casting or reeling in in the up butt position. i do a lot of freshwater matchfishing and up the butt is standard there but it doesnt feel right to me now on a beach or casting rod. it actually feels easier to cast a fixed spool reel up than a multiplier:bounce:

·
Banned
1,597 Posts
I have been told for reel down is that when you cast you have the extra weight of the reel at the bottom of the rod allowing you to push the rod harder with your top hand, also you do not need to use your pushing hand to hold the spool.
After using a multi in the up position all my life, I too find it very awkward to cast reel down. Like throwing a ball with your left hand, LOL. (assuming you are right handed)
Is this suggestive of reel down multiplier casting:bangin::drunk:

I have been told for reel down is that when you cast you have the extra weight of the reel at the bottom of the rod allowing you to push the rod harder with your top hand
I suggest that for power casting, no finger attachments...that any multiplier works best.

Perhaps I am ambidextrous and use both hands :drunk: But all my multipliers are used in "Eyes up" position with winding handle on the right side.

All fixed spools are used with winding handle on the left side.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This may be a stupid question but, where does your hand that is holding the rod above reel go when casting with the reel down? Isn't the line in the way?

·
Registered
5,162 Posts
This may be a stupid question but, where does your hand that is holding the rod above reel go when casting with the reel down? Isn't the line in the way?
It actually goes where it feels "right" this is probably about the same spacing as reel up, you might find that the line "flicks" at the inside of your right wrist a little but to no real consequence.. some people wear a wrist band to save any nicks...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts